Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Will this be big enough for 6?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Will this be big enough for 6?

Postby aCommonGoldfish » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:33 pm

Hello everyone! I am totally new to this forum, and hope that you can offer your advice on my dilemma...

As of right now, I have one parakeet. I'd like to buy more, and in the end, hope to have a total of 6 birds (counting the one I have now). BUT- before I do go out and buy them, I need a larger cage. So I am building one myself rather than purchasing one.
Here are the dimensions that I have for the cage:
Length- 55in.
Depth- 12in.
Height- 48in.

Do those dimensions sound about right for 6 birds?
Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
aCommonGoldfish
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Will this be big enough for 6?

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:34 am

I think in many cases that building your own cage is the best way to go as I am never happy with what I find commercially available. I think that I would go with a height of 60 inches, a depth of at least 18 inches ( preferably 24 inches), and 48 inches in length or longer up to 72 inches. I would also want you to be aware that you should not use regular galvanized hardware cloth in the construction as zinc is very toxic to your birds. It costs more but you can find stainless steel hardware cloth on line. You also can't use any treated or unsafe woods. Not all woods are safe for parrots as they will chew on it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:02 am

I have the cardinals and button quails in one of those homemade cages. They came in it and because we were in the process of buying the house and planning on re-fitting two rooms for the birds in the attic, I've kept them there - and I HATE it!!! There are two main problems with the homemade cages, one is the wire mesh you inevitably end up using instead of bars (yes, stainless steel is the only one you can use but even that one damages feathers - they will end up with the ends all frayed and raggedy looking). And two is the fact that there is no bottom grid or tray which makes it VERY difficult to clean (you will always end up stressing out the birds in it because you literally have to get almost half your body in it) and the birds end up foraging in their own poop no matter how often you clean it - no good! The other problem (not a major one but one that bothers me a lot, personally) is that the little square holes of the mesh are not good for holding cups or perches. Also, because you need a 'frame' of wood wide enough so you can attach the wire (which doesn't come in generous widths so you end up with 'panels' of it), the ceiling and sides are not as open to light as a regular cage is (another thing I don't like about them). The one I have is nicely finished with stain and everything but it still looks more like a chicken coop to me than anything else.

Why don't you just get a nice, roomy flight cage for them? They are not that expensive any more, they last much longer than a homemade, they look much, much better, they are easy to clean and maintain and the birds are much more comfortable in them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby aCommonGoldfish » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your input.
Wolf- I'll build my cage around those dimenesions and be will be sure to avoid any treated woods as well as Zinc.

If this cage doesn't work out, I will have a look at the pre-made ones. I don't have the birds yet, so I'm not hard pressed on this.

I should be able to handle it from here, if I do have any other questions I will be sure to post them here.

Again, thank you!
aCommonGoldfish
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:54 pm

what are you using for the wire???? I wonder what or where I could get wired to build my Jardine's parrot a cage....
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:01 pm

www.rescueme.org has listing for all the states. There are many budgies in it.

I have made cockatiel cages out of 1 inch chicken wire. It keeps the cockatiels in but the Lovie just squeezed through.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Not a good choice of wire as chicken wire has a zinc coating which is toxic to birds. You need to use stainless steel or aluminum wire.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 pm

But even though the cages made with SS chain link are safe, they still mess up their plumage and are a B*TCH to find bowls and perches that can be used in them (and forget about sticking food or cuttlebone between the bars, you can't!). I am going this coming Saturday to get the cardinals a new cage and, if I can get my daughter to come over, I'll take a picture of it and show you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 pm

I have found that when I make something it ends up costing as much as one purchased.
I am getting a delivery of two flight cages on the 23rd. I paid $103 each on Amazon Prime.
I don't know if it will work but my idea is to put all three cages together length wise so there will be more room for my 11 cockatiels. It would be nice to put them together broad side but I have to be able to get it through the door in case of fire.
$103 is an excellent price for a flight cage.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:47 pm

Will there be pictures?
Wolf