Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What does this behavior mean?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

What does this behavior mean?

Postby c marvel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:37 am

Sometimes my baby senegal, Vest, does a strange act. By the cage's bottom door, he will lay on his back and pull himself along on his back with his beak (I think he's pulled himself by his beak-I'm tired now and unsure). It looks really cute when he does this---What does it mean? He also sometimes rolls around on his back on top of the cage.

Cap
Last edited by c marvel on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Books are weapons in the war of ideas
c marvel
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot.
Flight: No

Re: What does this behavior mean?

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:21 am

I have no idea, unless he is playing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am

Does this behavior seem to be done on purpose or is it something that happens kind of out of the blue?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby c marvel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:34 pm

He seems to do it out of the blue. The first time it happened he'd been in my room for under 48 hours, just after I picked him up and took him home.

Cap
c marvel
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Hmmmm, I don't really know... I've never seen a bird do that on purpose. Does he have any other action that might indicate a balance or coordination problem? Does he fly? Walk straight? Climb? Has he been seen by an avian vet?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby c marvel » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:Hmmmm, I don't really know... I've never seen a bird do that on purpose. Does he have any other action that might indicate a balance or coordination problem? Does he fly? Walk straight? Climb? Has he been seen by an avian vet?

His balance/coordination is fine as far as I can tell. I guess he's just playing.

Cap
c marvel
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:33 am

Let's hope so. But, a check-up is always recommended with new birds, you know...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:10 pm

c marvel wrote:Sometimes my baby senegal, Vest, does a strange act. By the cage's bottom door, he will lay on his back and pull himself along on his back with his beak (I think he's pulled himself by his beak-I'm tired now and unsure). It looks really cute when he does this---What does it mean? He also sometimes rolls around on his back on top of the cage.

Cap

Maybe he is trying to teach you a trick. Give him the end of a piece of string and see if he holds on while you pull him.
Yea, that is stupid but you never know.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing