Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Two birds in one room

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Two birds in one room

Postby Matt Alyk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:55 am

So, first off, this advice isn't urgent at all because I probably won't be coming back to it for about four to six years. However, I am making plans for my future life with feathered companions. I plan to adopt two macaws, and have one or two parrot rooms for them (Depending on my future income) I plan to have a linoleum floor slanted toward a drain, various perches and toys, and a sun roof (and various perches around the house) My question comes in here. Obviously, I will try as hard as I can to find two macaws that will get along. But, if I'm gone at work and they are in the same room and they fight, I won't be there to stop them. Most of the animals I have worked with in my life are chickens and dogs, who fight quite often. Are parrots the same? I was just wondering if I should have a large room, and cut it in half with stainless steel grid mesh, keeping the rooms separate but still allowing interaction with each other, or just keeping them in the same room. Of course, this is wildly dependent on the parrots individual attitudes, but just as guidelines and generalization.
Little light, lead us through the night, and if we die, burn down the forest.
Matt Alyk
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Two birds in one room

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:31 am

I would say, that as long as they get along you would not have any problem as long as they have adequate room. I also think that if they don't get along that the mesh may not stop them and even if it did it would need to be two screens with a space between or at least one will end up missing toes. Please bear in mind that some of the larger macaws are able to bite through chain link fencing.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:41 pm

First of all, dogs don't fight with one another if you know what you are doing. I've had 17 dogs (and twice I had 19 and 21 for a couple of days when we were repairing the shelter's big dog kennels) in the house in Pennsylvania, not a single one in a crate, and they did not fight.

You might be able to adopt a pair of already bonded macaws (they had one in CL two days ago) but, even if you don't, macaws are laid back birds without an ounce of aggression or malice in them and, as long as they are not overly hormonal (they are considered low hormone birds) and regard you as their own personal mate, have enough room and perches, and are well kept you will not have a problem.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Matt Alyk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Okay thanks. Obviously, I probably won't come back to this advice until six years, but thanks for the info about the mesh, I haven't thought of those problems Wolf pointed out.
Matt Alyk
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Matt Alyk wrote:Okay thanks. Obviously, I probably won't come back to this advice until six years, but thanks for the info about the mesh, I haven't thought of those problems Wolf pointed out.

I really don't understand why you would need to be gone for 6 yrs.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Wolf wrote:
Matt Alyk wrote:Okay thanks. Obviously, I probably won't come back to this advice until six years, but thanks for the info about the mesh, I haven't thought of those problems Wolf pointed out.

Matt is 13. He had to give up Lilly because he was told to. He is saying in 6 years he will be through school and be able to get out on his own.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:19 pm

I know all of that. But not remaining on the forum and learning and contributing for six years seems like a waste to me. He apparently is good at researching and that means he can still help other birds even if he doesn't have his own for a while. Just my thoughts.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:13 am

I think the aim of his post was to learn but meant he wouldn't be making use of the knowledge for another 6 years.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Matt Alyk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Wolf wrote:

In four years, I will turn eighteen. From there, because of my religion, I will leave on my LDS mission for two years. Therefor, it will be six years before I adopt again. I don't mean I won't look at it for six years, I worded it strangely, I won't need to use it until the six years have passed.
Matt Alyk
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:52 am

Thank you Matt, now I understand.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)