Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Suspended from the ceiling perches?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Suspended from the ceiling perches?

Postby drcraigmjones » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Does any one have any structural plans for the suspended from the ceiling perches I saw on the YouTube video "How to make your parrot not bite you.?" I would like to find sources for the wood used and some idea on how to assemble this system...how did you brace the ceiling mounts for the entire structure? What type of wood was used? Thanks for any help! Craig
drcraigmjones
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Suspended from the ceiling perches?

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Check out this link and let me know if this is what you are talking about, please.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12085
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby patti » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:53 am

a lot of people use manzanita or java tree. and how you attach it to the ceiling is a matter of engineering. it depends on the weight of the perch once completed, and how the ceiling is constructed.
patti
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure, Blue Crown Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am

I'll be honest with you, Patti, I don't like manzanita or java. They are, without a doubt, VERY durable and they are both non-toxic but that's about all you can say good about them. They are too hard to chew, have no bark to peel off, no bounce whatsoever and the surface is WAAAAAAAY too smooth and slippery so, although they might fulfill humans' requirements for a bird perch, the requirements a bird would have for a perch are missing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby nerdybird » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:03 pm

I just bought a large hanging branch arrangement from Denises' Parrot Place here in Seattle. My cockatiel and parrotlet love it. I think the guy that makes them is local, but he might sell them online.

I didn't have to use any special ceiling mounts, just a screw-in hook. I hammered it a bit to make a dent and then screwed it in by hand using a small towel to get a grip. Mine doesn't weigh much, maybe 20lbs at the most, and neither do my birds, but at the hardware store they showed me a different mount I could use for something heavier.

I hung it over my window seat. I'll post a pic when I get home later.
nerdybird
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: parrotlet, cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Sounds like great fun for your birds! I hang metal grids (I call them 'platforms' but they are actually grids) and stick branches in the holes, the birds love them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby nerdybird » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:38 am

Oooh, what are these grids Pajarita?
nerdybird
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: parrotlet, cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 am

One is some kind of fence I got from a guy who does landscaping, another is the metal thing that goes under a crib's mattress and the small one is one of the 'side walls' of a double macaw cage.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing