Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

greenwing and umberella 1 room?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

greenwing and umberella 1 room?

Postby Belgian_falconer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Hello everyone. i have recently adopted a umberella cockatoo (u2) from a sanctuary. he/she was being chased away and attacked by a african grey in the flock.(they normaly dont let people adopt animals but since they had no other aviary for the u2 and not the time nor the experience to train and maintain him/her. they let me adopt him/her. Becous i have been training birds for quite a while(also parrots,dont let the name confuse you). He/she is housed in a indoor aviary(in my bedroom) its 8 square meters and 2.5 meters tall. full of branches, perches, swings toys and also a floor area (where he/she seems to be spending most of the time during the day playing) full of toys -safe- cardboard boxes and foot toys. i have had him/her for a week and the taming is going great(can already lay him/her on his/her back). Now they have a new macaw in the sanctuary wich is also being attackt -this time by 2 b&g macaws in the macaw aviary-. my question is: can i house these two together? they are both really dosile. and when placing other birds from diferent species together before with simulair personality -even if they are from a different species- they seem to always get along. the u2 seems to be able to easely keep him/herself busy during the day. but i am still gone for 8 hours and since they are very social animals he/she might get lonely. it will also solve the macaw issue otherwise we will have to search for a other option.

Thanks in advance.

sincerely: Sam
Belgian_falconer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: umberella cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: greenwing and umberella 1 room?

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

I really can't say with any certainty but if you want to try maybe they have an adequate sized cage that you can borrow for a while so that you can separate them for the quarantine period and then start introducing them and see if they will get along. I would say that them major factor in addition to their personality will be their sex and the space they are to live in.
I really can't say any more than this as I do not have either of these species of birds. I do have several birds of different species living together with me but neither of these.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:24 am

Wolf is correct. You will need to quarantine the macaw in a different room so you will need another cage. Now, the people at the sanctuary might say they already quarantined the birds and that there is no danger BUT, in my personal experience and opinion, quarantine is not only for disease checking, it's also for switching them to a better diet, for them to have a place of their own until they get used to the new home, new human and, in this case, another bird. Because they do hear each other and they do start to get used to the other's presence in their lives and the vocalizations. I used to have two umbrellas that had bonded with each other without seeing each other, just because they had heard the other bird in another room.

You will also need another cage because, even if they are both mild-mannered and like each other, you cannot house two birds together until they are bonded and, when you talk about such hugely different species, it takes a looooooong time IF IT HAPPENS AT ALL. I am not saying it won't happen, I am saying odds are not in your favor because umbrellas look, act and vocalize completely different from macaws. It's easy to get two conures, two poicephalus or two amazons of different species to bond -even a conure and an amazon- but a cockatoo and a macaw is not so you will need a separate cage/aviary and hope that, in time, they can be housed together.

The other thing you will need is to get yourself a good air purifier because macaws are prone to respiratory issues from breathing in the cockatoo dust.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Belgian_falconer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:36 am

thanks for the answers. i will see to buy a macaw cage(all animals in the sanctuary are kept in aviary's so they dont have any cages). about the diet, i am the one that made the diet schedule for the sanctuary so no problem there. and i already have a air purifier-a realy potent one- so thats already fixed.

again thanks for the quick reply.
Belgian_falconer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: umberella cockatoo

Return to Housing