Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

perminant cage at a different location?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

perminant cage at a different location?

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:48 am

So, I got my parrot two days ago, and in two weeks I have the option to go camping. I work for my parents, and plan on taking him often to see them. And when I am unable to look after him, my mum will take him. My question is, should I wait a few months untill hes comfortable with training with me and trusting of me, and having traveled to this location several times before, before we consider a stay without me there, or should we bite the bullet and set him up to stay before we have too much of an attachment so he wont feel abanded again (I adopted him) and so when I do come back, hell umderstand that this could be a semi regualr occurance?
obvusly im quite happy to stay home, if its him or camping, I choose him.
thankyou
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: perminant cage at a different location?

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:37 am

If it were myself, I would wait before going camping in order to acclimate the bird to its new environment which includes not only my home but also myself. The bird is going through a stressful period at this time and needs you to be there to reassure it during this time of transition.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:16 am

I agree with Wolf, we are talking about a baby here. And, at an age where, in the wild, he would still be in the nest with his parents so it would be doubly stressful for the little one to be taken to still another home with still more strange people before he had a chance to begin to relax in his present home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:01 pm

Pajarita, I am not positive but I read his posts before starting to answer any of them and I think that in one of them that he says that his bird is a year old.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 pm

that was easily settled :) thanks guys

I was unsure because he is a year, I think i'll stay with him overnight a few times at my parents before i leave him, and do it gradually.
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:12 am

Wolf wrote:Pajarita, I am not positive but I read his posts before starting to answer any of them and I think that in one of them that he says that his bird is a year old.

Yes, I realized that when I read his other post after I had already replied. But, in any case, the bird has been with his new human for just a few days so even if it's not a baby, it's still too soon, in my personal opinion.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 pm

No disagreement there.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Housing