Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal home alone

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Senegal home alone

Postby Bogette » Thu May 14, 2015 10:30 am

I'm wondering if anyone owns a Senegal that is home some days while you are at work. I currently have a 20 year old male Senegal that currently lives with my parents but will soon be living with me and my husband. I won't be home everyday to be with him and look after him and I'm not sure what to do. Hire a bird sitter? take him somewhere for the day? or just leave him at home until I get back from work. Can anyone give me any advise on this?

Thank you,
Dana
Bogette
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: Senegal home alone

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 14, 2015 11:30 am

Is the bird coming to live with you because your parents no longer want him or is there any other reason? I ask because, after 20 years of living with somebody there all day long (if this is the case, of course), it will be very lonely for the bird to be by himself and too stressful for him to be carried back and forth every day... The other problem is the typical male Senegal's aggression when kept overly-hormonal which is, pretty much, unavoidable if you work full time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bogette » Thu May 14, 2015 1:14 pm

So we have had Bogie since he was a baby and I have been part of his life since then as well. Back then when I was living at home Bogie and I spent most of the time together playing, cuddling and just hanging out. We have a very special bond. Now having my own home and married, I see him every week at my parents house. My parents have been having some behavioral issues with him the last couple of years like screaming running around the floors and typical hormonal issues. Because Bogies acts so differently with me and I know how to handle him better, they are thinking of having him live with me. I work 3 days a week during the day and I know he would not like being alone during these days. My parents are typically in and out all day and spend a lot of time with him. As my parent are now getting much older it may be too much for them to handle. What do you think?
Bogette
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Postby JaydeParrot » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:47 am

Depends on your bird's personality, I can take my Sennie to work with me but that's only cause she doesn't get stressed meeting others. If you're in a situation where you work at a desk or in a room by yourself then you could take your sennie with you every other day or so. You haven't really said how often you're away though, really depends on how much one to one time your bird can get with you.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing