Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

housing for wild parrots?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

housing for wild parrots?

Postby hankskorpio » Wed May 20, 2015 12:29 pm

We have parrots living on our street in Southern California - I'm no expert, but I they look like either the mitred or red-masked parakeet on this website (http://www.californiaparrotproject.org/id_guide.html). We love the birds, even when they eat the fruit off our fruit trees. My concern is that they nest in hollow rotten branches of old street trees, and the old trees are slowly being replaced by the city with smaller trees, eliminating their nesting area.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to build an outdoor "bird house" that would attract wild parrots? Do you have any suggestions on bird feeders for wild parrots?

Thanks!
hankskorpio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: housing for wild parrots?

Postby Wolf » Wed May 20, 2015 7:51 pm

For a nest box it needs to be a vertical box 12" X 12" X18" with probably a 3 1/2" to 4" hole in the upper portion of the front and a 5/8" perch. For a feeder I would guess that just about any untreated wood surface of 12 inches square would work. Probably be safest to make it from white pine or fir.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 21, 2015 10:54 am

And you don't really need a bird feeder, a platform with food on it is perfect.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Birds are loud » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:14 am

The US currently no longer has any native parrots in the wild. Thick billed parrots are the only remaining US native species and have been extinct in the US for a long time now with some surviving populations in Mexico. The parrots of California are invasive species and their survival should not be encouraged. Do not intentionally attempt to aid their survival in any manner. If we ever hope to see the return of US native species such as the thick billed parrot we need to control the current invasive species. Some of these species would compete with our natives for food, territory and nesting sites. Just leave them be and enjoy their visits to your yard.
Birds are loud
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure, pacific parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:32 pm

While it is true that the only living wild species of parrots in the US are all non native species, the statement that the would compete with the thick billed parrot for food to the point of causing them to go extinct again in the US is pure conjecture with no actual supporting evidence either way.
This is to the best of my knowledge, if you have documentation contrary to my statement please share it with me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 am

My dear, this was a common belief years ago but there have been feral colonies of these so called 'invasive' species of parrots for years and years and years (not only in the US, mind you, but almost everywhere in the world) and there has not been a SINGLE recorded decrease of indigenous bird species population due to their been there. It's man's spreading out and destroying their habitats -and now global warming- that has done it, not the parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:28 am

If it's hungry feed it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy