Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Heat lamp

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Heat lamp

Postby DanaandPod » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:32 pm

The reason heated perches are great is that your bird can decide for itself if it wants to go sit on that perch to heat up. Pod had one but my rabbit chewed the cord. But its warm enough here anyway.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby DanaandPod » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Windycity parrot is where I ordered that cage heated perch. Again, its not meant to warm anything but their feet. I knew temps were dropping when I saw him using it...and knew to turn things up. Sounds like a pad is based on what the human thinks verses the parrot. Why would a parrot be housed where its so cold that one is needed? Oh well, I'm an apartment dweller so... Its not like I'm in an old farm house. Sounds good to have for a sick bird though...
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Sick birds are why most of us keep heating pads, but I also use it for me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:53 am

Navre wrote:My amazon has one of these. She supposedly used it a lot in her foster home, but I never seen her near it.
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... duct=25479

One of the birds at the rescue, who has no feathers, has one of these.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... oduct=4840

He seems to like it. I'm not sure how effective it is.

well I think that bird radiator looks safer than any other option I have seen. At least once the wire has been moved away from the cage bars. It looks solid enough to place on the cage floor too, and easy to clean/disinfect. do you think that is right?

Pajarita, I dare say you have been using yours for years with no issue but how do you stop it getting chewed up? It doesn't particularly look safe but ofc I'm not saying it's not. Also how do you disinfect it without destroying it?
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Navre » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:35 am

marie83 wrote:
Navre wrote:My amazon has one of these. She supposedly used it a lot in her foster home, but I never seen her near it.
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... duct=25479

One of the birds at the rescue, who has no feathers, has one of these.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... oduct=4840

He seems to like it. I'm not sure how effective it is.

well I think that bird radiator looks safer than any other option I have seen. At least once the wire has been moved away from the cage bars. It looks solid enough to place on the cage floor too, and easy to clean/disinfect. do you think that is right?

Pajarita, I dare say you have been using yours for years with no issue but how do you stop it getting chewed up? It doesn't particularly look safe but ofc I'm not saying it's not. Also how do you disinfect it without destroying it?

I don't know about the cage floor. I don't think it's designed to warm anything except the area right next to it.

It cleans easily. I just wipe it with some F-10. It's 94.5 degrees on the surface of the heater, according to my point-and-shoot thermometer, but it feels warm to me, which should mean it's actually above body temperature.

I think it probably provides a bit more warmth than a bird would get snuggling up against another bird.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby marie83 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:48 am

That's helpful. Thank you Navre.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Marie, the cord goes through the bars outside the cage so the bird cannot get to it. The plug thingie is always on the very edge of one side and almost at the corner so it's easy to make it stick out off the back of the cage -and sick birds are always quarantined so it's not as if there is a loose bird that could get to it. I also always cover it with paper (to protect it from poop and food) and the 'liner' comes off and can be washed so disinfecting it is not a problem.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:15 pm

DanaandPod wrote:Windycity parrot is where I ordered that cage heated perch. Again, its not meant to warm anything but their feet. I knew temps were dropping when I saw him using it...and knew to turn things up. Sounds like a pad is based on what the human thinks verses the parrot. Why would a parrot be housed where its so cold that one is needed? Oh well, I'm an apartment dweller so... Its not like I'm in an old farm house. Sounds good to have for a sick bird though...

Heating pads are only used for sick birds which require a steady temperature of around 90 degrees, not as a source of heat for a healthy one.

The thing about 'warming their feet' is that birds feet don't need warming. Nature made it so they have their own mechanism (it's called countercurrent exchange) so they never freeze even at super low temperatures. And it's also why warming the feet with a perch doesn't really do much for the bird. There are lots and lots of things the industry sells for birds that are nothing but gimmicks...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Unlike, Navre, I do not have a point and shoot thermometer, so I do not know what the temperature of the perch is but it does put out a fair amount of heat. It is warm to the touch and most of the time a bird in colder temperatures is crouched down so the heat may be warming the feet but some is also being trapped by the feathers. Any way Marley has no feathers there so in her case the radiant heat would still be helpful in keeping her warmer.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Excellent, that's helpful too Pajarit. I was concerned about the mat itself getting chewed up with a bird that wasn't critically ill but still needed supportive care.

anyway I just found a supplier for the pad and saw the price.... I think I will stick to the ceramic lamp since it seems to be effective the way I set it up. I would totally buy it at the price it sells for over there though!
marie83
Cockatoo

PreviousNext

Return to Housing