Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Heat lamp

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Heat lamp

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:43 am

I keep a heat lamp on my guy on those cold mornings and wondered if they're really safe for him. I use a low 25 watt Zoo med reptile light. Thanks
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Regent parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Heat lamp

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:32 am

You have to look at the specifications probably on the base of the bulb They should read CRI 94+, K Temp 5000 to 5500 and UV 2. Anything different is not safe for your bird !!!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 am

No, no, heat lamps need to be close to be effective so it's not a matter of specifications for light because regardless of what they are, they are VERY dangerous to their eyes (you cannot use anything reptile for birds because birds lack the protective third eyelid that reptiles have). Please do NOT use it unless you are blocking the light with a completely opaque material (black-out) which is not recommended, in any case, because the heat can burn the material and cause a fire. If you are concerned about heat, please use a heating pad under the grid (and put a newspaper on the grid itself so no poop falls on it) and cover the top and sides with some kind of a material (like a towel).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:47 am

I used a temperature controlled heater in my sunroom in the winter. It was set in the middle of the room and I had a thermometer behind the cage and up against a wall. It was set on 70 with constant fan. The thermometer read 65 degrees. I also had the special lighting. When I turned it on at 10 am the heater was turned off. At 6 pm the light was turned off and the heater turned on.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Sorry I misread the post.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:41 pm

Heating pad under the grid would be suffice? Also, where can I buy this heating pad....ty
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Most drug stores should carry them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:06 am

Yep, most drug stores sell them and they come in different sizes. I have a medium size one which I use in my hospital cages (smaller than the 'regular' ones). I fold it to 'squeeze' it through the door, open it inside the cage, smooth it on the floor (on top of the grid) and put newspaper on top of it (so it doesn't get pooped on), place the perch halfway the height of the cage, cover the cage on all sides but the front (I use them during the day so they need the light) with one or two towels and place a regular house thermometer inside the cage, hanging from the top so the bottom is, more or less, where the bird will be perching. As heat rises and it's 'trapped' by the material covering the cage and the heating pad covers most of the 'floor' of the cage, the entire cage stays nice and toasty.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:09 pm

If the heating pad is on top of the grid, doesn't that mean that he could get to it? I'm worried about my guy tearing into it and possibly electrcuting himself. I also have a feather Brite uva/uvb bulb that I use for him. Is that safe for him and if not, how do I get him these uva/uvb rays that I read are essential for him.
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Postby LJ4RockPebbler » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:23 pm

I just finished reading that ceramic heating elements do not emit light although they emit heat....good or bad? Avitec.com
LJ4RockPebbler
Conure

Next

Return to Housing