Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

lighting

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

lighting

Postby Kakariki » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:13 pm

I took a video but am still unable to even get them on my laptop from my camera, let alone upload it. tried to do it from my cell phone too, I am just a tech dummy.

The ''bird area' is approx. 11x18 feet with an additional 9x9 area which forms an 'L' shape. The only natural sourses of light are a 5 foot patio glass door and a window that is about 3x4 feet. Is this suitable for them to have a good solar rhythm?
Kakariki
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure; Sun Conure; Kakariki; 2 budgies. 2 ringnecks
Flight: Yes

Re: lighting

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Well as far as the light from the twilight periods of dawn and dusk it should work fine, but if you are thinking about the vitamin D-3 that they produce from sunshine no window is any good as they all block out the UV light, you need to take the bird outside to get that benefit and that takes about 20 minutes.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:19 am

Yes, it is as long as the cages are placed near the source of natural light. But, Wolf is right, it's good for exposure to dawn and dusk but no window, door or anything no matter how many there are or how big works for the vit D3 production if they have regular glass on them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Kakariki » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:10 am

I do have an outdoor aviary that I built this spring, it is 6' x6' x4', however there are only 5 of the birds I feel safe carrying out there.
Their cares are near the window and through the day the window is slid open, with a screen, that is where Pixie and Raj often hang out and and sometimes Fiest. Would that be ok? Through the screen? I also have a full spectrum light from when my son had a bearded dragon. Perhaps that would be good for the winter?
Kakariki
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure; Sun Conure; Kakariki; 2 budgies. 2 ringnecks

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:28 pm

You can use full spectrum bulbs but not the ones for reptiles, they are dangerous and can kill or maim or blind a bird. If you wish to use a full spectrum light for a bird the specs. are CRI 94+, K Temp 5000 to 5500 C with UV 2. Don't use any other one than with these specifications.

Screens are funny and you have to check to see if it block UVA/B, some block UV light and some don't. Most of the dark colored fiber type screens do block UV light.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:14 pm

I used the uv lights in the sunroom even on sunny days because it added a better kind of light.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:31 am

The other problem with screens is the possibility that they might chew a hole in them and get out. I once had all the screens in the birdroom re-done with a new material they claimed was specially made for pets and that even large dogs would not be able to break through and the little lovebirds chew holes in them in a matter of hours. When I took them back to the hardware store where I had had them done, the employee asked me if a bear had gotten to them :lol: And I don't think he even believed me when I told him it was little birds that had done it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing