Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Home made aviary/ what metal is toxic to parrots

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Home made aviary/ what metal is toxic to parrots

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:04 am

I'm thinking of cutting the room my sennie's in, in half so I can leave their cage open and they can freely explore half the room. I wanted to use metal mesh/fencing as a cheap to prevent the bird from getting to the other side of the room (where objects i don't want the bird to have access are kept). I wondered if anyone would be able to advise me on non-toxic mesh to contain a bird- (the bird's main cage would be kept behind the mesh so they'd have constant access to their usual cage, the mesh would just allow the bird more freedom to explore when it's alone rather than me always having to be in the same room whilst the bird's out of it's cage.

So anyone any ideas on UK based non-toxic metal mesh? Thanks.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Home made aviary/ what metal is toxic to parrots

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:53 am

I am not in the UK, but the only metal mesh that you can get that would not be toxic are anodized aluminum or stainless steel and both are expensive. May I suggest that you consider using some fiber window screen instead. You can buy it in rolls and hang it like curtains all the way down to the floor.
I have a Senegal, Kiki, who loves going to the kitchen where she perches on the coffee maker and defends it with her life. She is so proud of herself and lets anyone or anything that goes into the kitchen that the coffee maker is hers and to stay away from it. I use a fiber window screening across the door way to keep her out of the kitchen. It holds up well as she doesn't bother it much, she leaves that to the cats. The first one lasted over a year before the cats and dogs tore it up too much to use.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:01 am

Hmmmm, Kiki might leave it alone but I would not recommend leaving a bonded pair of sennies alone and loose in a room that uses it as a separation. All you need is one single time they decide to chew a hole in it and go looking for a good nesting spot and they can end up on the other side where there are dangers...

In my personal opinion, the only thing that really works is stainless steel or anodized aluminum.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:02 am

I suppose that one of the reasons that it works for me is that if I can't be there to keep things on track, they are in their cages. It helps me a lot so that I don't have to keep jumping up every few minutes to go into the kitchen just to trick her onto my arm so that she can attack my arm until I can get her out of the kitchen and onto the top of her cage or some other suitable spot.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:57 am

Any that have compounds of zinc u should check if the netting or wire is galvanised
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Return to Housing