Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Postby shiraartain » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:24 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/98/f4/ac/98f4ac0fdfe8e698a3e9342332d58abb.jpg

Can someone please explain to me why the sugar glider hammock linked above is a bad idea? When Fajr is drowsy (early morning/evening), his favorite thing to do is nestle into our blanket. So I thought he might like something similar in his cage. Aside from nails getting caught/swallowing threads, any other downsides?
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:37 am

No. But why don't you get him/her a birdy hut instead? Also, that's not his/her cage, right? Because that's not a parrot's cage...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:15 am

Stay away from huts marketed as snuggle huts happy huts play huts or any type of thing that a bird can get into cosy into they trigger birds mating behaviours and the bird will get territorial and the horror stories which btw is true is when an African grey owner found his grey foot twisted and hanging on the happy hut with half a foot chewed off because it has unraveled the stitches I highly recommend u to stay away from these
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:25 am

I keep hearing about how these little huts for birds trigger mating behaviors and territorial aggression. I believe that in this regard that they are receiving a bum rap. Here is why I think this. Parrots are photoperiodic with light being one of the primary triggers for their breeding cycles, so I keep my birds to a strict solar light schedule just like the free birds outside my windows. Diet and the abundance of food are the next trigger of any consequence, in my opinion as it is the proteins in the food that are used to produce the sexual hormones and the abundance assures the mated pair of enough food to raise their young. Then there is the matter of a nesting place, which actually is their cage, with or without a cozy hut that provides this and most of our parrots are territorial about this space. A mate is provided either by another suitable bird or by the presence of the birds chosen human and since we keep our homes within certain parameters of warmth their temperature requirements are also well met.
I have 7 birds of 5 different species and they everyone of them go into breeding condition right on schedule every year and I do not have any cozy huts or nest boxes in any of their cages. The presence of the cozy hut seems to me to be pretty much a negligible item and I think is being blamed for that which it does, in fact, not do. This is not to say that I think that they are good as many of them can, indeed, be rather dangerous for the bird if not kept up properly.
Just thought that I would share my thoughts on this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:16 pm

I agree with Wolf. Birdy huts cause nesting behavior only when people are not keeping them to a strict solar schedule and free-feed protein food. It's not the hut that is causing the problem, it's the inadequate husbandry.

Having said that, there are species that really love their huts: quakers, sunnies and GCCs come to mind.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Fajr used to love his hut (polly's love nest) when he was still a little baby. Then I used it as an in-the-cage toy box for a while. I'll try putting it back in to see what he makes of it now.

I wanted that model because he likes to run around and cuddle under blankets. I'm unsure about if it's the softness he likes, the warmth, or just snuggling against us-- he has a habit of running into the blanket and complaining when he realizes it's bedtime.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:59 am

Yeah very true wold the trigger hormones in birds and there nails could easily get stuck
What's the solar schedule u keep your birds in n I've heard u don't give the lots of sunlight
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:26 am

Birds are photoperiodic which simply put means that they go into breeding condition based on the amount of daylight vs darkness. There is more to it than this because they have more than one trigger, but this balance of light and dark is one of them and a major one at that.
They have two periods that they use to start and stop the measuring of daylight or darkness and they are the twilight periods of predawn and dusk, kind of works like a stop watch in this respect. A solar light schedule is the same light schedule that the free birds outside your window live with starting with exposure to the pre dawn twilight on through the day ending after exposure to the twilight period of dusk and full dark.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:19 am

Wolf on another post u said u put your birds in a day night cycle what do u do?
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:34 am

The only cycle that I use for my birds is a solar light schedule with full exposure to both of the twilight periods. I did post where I had recently read that keeping them under a bright light for 72 hours would cause them to go out of breeding cycle, but I have not yet found it again to verify its authenticity.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Housing