Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Postby Navre » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Wolf wrote:The only cycle that I use for my birds is a solar light schedule with full exposure to both of the twilight periods. I did post where I had recently read that keeping them under a bright light for 72 hours would cause them to go out of breeding cycle, but I have not yet found it again to verify its authenticity.

It might make them think they are in St. Petersburg and make them start drinking vodka.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:29 am

As long as they don't try to peel it, the vodka, that is, I'm good with it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:17 am

Pajarita wrote:I agree with Wolf. Birdy huts cause nesting behavior only when people are not keeping them to a strict solar schedule and free-feed protein food. It's not the hut that is causing the problem, it's the inadequate husbandry.

Having said that, there are species that really love their huts: quakers, sunnies and GCCs come to mind.

I hollowed out a cocoa nut but left the hull on it then hung it in the top of the cage. My love bird took to it right away. There was nothing for him to catch in. He felt secure and even preened his cocoa nut.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:02 am

I have two halves of a coconut that has the lower half tied to the upper half with a 3 inch gap between them hung from the top of Rajah and Keeta's cage. It was originally Keeta's coconut but now they share it as their sleep perch. They really love it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shiraartain » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:31 am

We also have a coconut! It was empty, then became a toy box for Fajr, and then Lemon and Clover got it in their cage and loved it. We should probably make two more, since it's so well-liked.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 am

Might as well, mine has some wooden blocks strung on the sisal twine that suspends the lower half from the upper half. As I said the parrotlets really love this thing.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby InsanityShard » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:00 pm

What is the solar light schedule and the other factors? I am planning on getting a small grass tunnel as a nice cosy place for the Winter for my parrot, and it is not a nest, not even meant for birds, it's meant for things like guinie pigs. I will be trying to make sure I get a small native parrot, that will be mostly indoors.
InsanityShard
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:30 am

A solar light schedule is pretty much the same light that wild birds receive in their natural environments and it is a major requirement for the bird to remain healthy. Birds use light in a much different manner than we do. In some respects sunlight acts like a nutrient for them, as it is the primary catalyst for them to produce the vitamin D=3 that they need and it also helps them to use the calcium in their diet. Understand that they require a certain amount of unfiltered sunlight daily but not direct sunlight they do just fine with getting the amount of sunlight while in the shade of a tree or otherwise out of direct sun. They also need to receive the light that occurs at dawn and at dusk as this controls their internal biological clock and helps to regulate their mating drives. And then just like the wild birds they need to go to sleep when it gets dark outside. This is a very basic description of a solar light schedule and how it affects our birds.

Parrots nest in cavities such as holes in trees and cliffs. This means that while you may not be intending for this grass tunnel thing to be a nest that does not mean that the bird will use it in the way that you think that it should. The bird may use it as a place to sleep and to hide in and if it does then it is looking at it as if it were a nest and it does not matter that it is made for a different type of animal, what is important is how the bird views it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Alright, I just figured it'd be better than letting it use all the teddies on my top bunk in case it gets something it shouldn't. As for the light schedule, that's perfect, I was hoping to get a native parrot. Since I never really close my blinds or anything, it'll get its natural schedule unless I have my light on all night, which I usually don't do.
InsanityShard
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:45 pm

I agree, the bird having all of your stuffed animals is probably not a good thing especially the ones that have button eyes or such.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Housing