Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Someone please explain to me why this bed is a bad idea.

Postby liz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 am

I have been loosing my posts.
Myrtle still likes being in paper grocery bags since I put one on her while she slept on a branch. She was afraid I would close the door so she would not go in her cage at night. It was cold at night (about 65 in the sunroom) and the paper bag kept her heat in.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby InsanityShard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Well, at best if it's really cold the bird will just curl up with me on the bottom bunk, with my soft all fabric teddies like my crushed velvet limited edition Pokemon Plushies. =P
InsanityShard
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:25 pm

I don't know that sleeping with the bird is such a good idea. There have been lots of birds that have been killed by a sleeping owner who rolled over on them. There are other safer ways to keep them warm such as those radiator type electric heaters or a heating pad in the bottom of the cage below the grate with the cage covered to hold the heat in. Of course you have to find a heating pad that does not shut off every two hours.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:09 am

Wolf is right. Don't even think of the bird sleeping with you. It's very dangerous!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Alright then, I'll keep it in its cage at night and wrap a warm throw over the cage.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:43 am

Covering a cage doesn't really provide enough extra warmth to a bird. It does prevent drafts but then a bird's cage should never be placed where there is the danger of a draft, anyway. The reason why covering a cage doesn't help with heat is that birds bodies are too small in comparison to the space inside an adequate cage so although their bodies do radiate the heat they produce themselves, it's never enough to warm up the entire cage and it dissipates before it can do any real good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:54 pm

What do you suggest then? I've never seen a heating pad before. I will be joining the local bird club here, it's how I'll be getting a harness, but I have little experience with keeping cages warm. With our budgies it was always small cages. The kind of parrot I want to get is native, but not to this area.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:03 am

As long as the temperature in the room where they are kept is not below 65 F, it should be OK without any cover. I actually keep the temperature a little higher than that -I try to make it no less than 68 F in the birdroom but, if it goes down to 65, I don't worry. I use the heating pad for sick birds. I put it at the bottom of the cage with a newspaper covering (so it doesn't get poop on it) and they look like this: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... vtojvjg6_e

And you just have to make sure it's not the kind that shuts itself off every two hours.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby InsanityShard » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Okay, thank you. I've been doing more research and it seems I'd be best getting not one, but a pair of Princess Parrots. It'll be fun to see what happens. =D Hopefully I could even get 3 at once, since I won't be able to get more birds after because Princess Parrots can be very territorial.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Wolf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:13 am

I would agree that a pair of them would be a good idea as it gives them a companion. I would also make sure that they are of the opposite sex from each other and that they are unrelated to each other. I do not think that three is a good number as it could cause some problems once the birds reach maturity as they will want their own mates and three will not allow for that and parrots are very jealous of their mates, so I think that three would end up causing fights which you don't want.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Housing