Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New cage came

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New cage came

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:50 pm

The new cage came today they love it its nice and big and it took a really long time to put it together and then I had to set up their old cage for Rio so im really tired now lol and Rio loves his cage too.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: New cage came

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:17 pm

It looks like a nice enough cage, time and usage especially after cleaning and feeding in it will tell you more than I ever could about how good of a cage it is. At this time the only thing that I would suggest is that you get two more feed/ water cups so that they each have their own food and water cups. I like using ones like these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=7433
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Wolf wrote:It looks like a nice enough cage, time and usage especially after cleaning and feeding in it will tell you more than I ever could about how good of a cage it is. At this time the only thing that I would suggest is that you get two more feed/ water cups so that they each have their own food and water cups. I like using ones like these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=7433

They have always only had 2 bowls and they dont mind sharing I was thinking of getting another bowl for veg and stuff.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Yeah, I figured that you might be able to get by with them sharing their food and water, my budgies like it that way, but I guess that I am more accustomed to larger birds or at least more aggressive birds that don't like to share as much.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Wolf wrote:Yeah, I figured that you might be able to get by with them sharing their food and water, my budgies like it that way, but I guess that I am more accustomed to larger birds or at least more aggressive birds that don't like to share as much.

Yeah they love being together all the time.Somebody on Talk cockatiels forum said that cage is too small for two cockatiels.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Well it depends... If they are going to have to spend a lot of time in it, then they may be right as they should have enough room for both of them to fully extend their wings while they are both on the same perch, that is the accepted minimum size. This can be moderated by how much time they spend outside of the cage. You can get by with a cage that is smaller than ideal if the bird has enough time out of the cage.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Wolf wrote:Well it depends... If they are going to have to spend a lot of time in it, then they may be right as they should have enough room for both of them to fully extend their wings while they are both on the same perch, that is the accepted minimum size. This can be moderated by how much time they spend outside of the cage. You can get by with a cage that is smaller than ideal if the bird has enough time out of the cage.

They are never in their cage only if they are relaxing,eating,sleeping or playing other than that they are downstairs on their stand and they can fly back upstairs themselves.I say both of them would be able to fully extend their wings although they never do spread their wings out anyway they usually do that in the morning but if the cage is open they go out and do it and flap their wings and fly around the room
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:01 am

Here is how I fit a cage for the bird. Using a cockatiel as the bird. The average cockatiel is between 11 and 13 inches in length from tip of beak to tip of tail feathers. So lets use 13 inches.

The wing span of this cockatiel or other bird is roughly twice the length of their body length. So that is 13 X 2 or 26 inches.

To then allow for some freedom of movement this should be doubled. So every 26 inches becomes 52 inches

So for a single cockatiel the minimum recommended cage size is 52 X 52 X 52 inches. For two the smallest recommended cage size is 104 X 104 X 104 inches.

From this one should always get a cage as much larger than the minimum as it is possible for them to get.

Now if the bird or birds are out of the cage most of the time except for eating, drinking and sleeping then you can get by with a smaller cage.

A while back, within the last year, I believe, there were a couple of post about the new laws in Sweden that were passed to insure a minimum standard cage size for parrots to prevent people from housing them in too small of a cage as well as requiring that no single parrots were sold again in their country. The formula that I just used to show the minimum recommended cage size was taken from those Swedish laws.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:40 am

I only use bowls for water. Food shells collect on the top of bowls and my cockatiels don't know how to brush them off. I watched Rambo push the empty shells off with his beak. I use feeding platforms.

The cage is tall enough that you could put a platform inside the top of the cage with enough room for the birds to fully stand up. Using a non treated piece of wood you could put a platform in half the size of the cage itself so they can climb up and stand flat while feeding. They can both eat from the same plate at the same time. They prefer to eat together.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:28 am

liz wrote:I only use bowls for water. Food shells collect on the top of bowls and my cockatiels don't know how to brush them off. I watched Rambo push the empty shells off with his beak. I use feeding platforms.

The cage is tall enough that you could put a platform inside the top of the cage with enough room for the birds to fully stand up. Using a non treated piece of wood you could put a platform in half the size of the cage itself so they can climb up and stand flat while feeding. They can both eat from the same plate at the same time. They prefer to eat together.

Liz they can eat together and food dosent collect on top of the bowls
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Next

Return to Housing