Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Question about cages for cockatiels!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Question about cages for cockatiels!

Postby NeAmer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello,I want a nice for a cockatiel but there are basically no pet shops with actaul quality cages in my area the only types of cages that i can find look like this http://newton.unh.edu/~tjg62/project/small2.jpg .I already have one of those cages that is 40/30/45 cm.Is that cage big enough for a cockatiel?
Another thing that I thought of was building a custom cage,it seemed like a nice alternative to those cages.I Iooked up some videos about that and stumbled upon this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEw-mHopxKc this cage design looked really nice and this guy has a video of how he makes these cages.Is making a cage like that a good idea and if it is what is the recommended size and bar spacing for a cockatiel?
EDIT:i think I found a place where i can buy a bigger cage so ill convert my current cage into a carrier.
Thanks to everyone for the answers!
Last edited by NeAmer on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeAmer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Question about cages for cockatiels!

Postby JessiMuse » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:37 pm

The cage you mentioned that you can find in pet stores is too small for a cockatiel, from my understanding. Basically, the cage needs to be big enough for the bird to comfortably stretch it's wings. Of course, the bigger, the better. :)

Now, I don't know anything about making cages, but after poking around on the guy's YouTube channel, I found out that he actually sells these cages, and at surprisingly reasonable prices, considering their size and quality.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/birdworld77?r ... eader-name
JessiMuse
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Well the bars need to be horizontal for a parrot for climbing, I did not look at bar spacing because of the fact that parrots chew wood and will destroy the cage in short order.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JessiMuse » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Oh, I forgot all about that! Destruction is a parrot's favorite past time, and cockatiels can be notorious about it. :lol:

Probably not the best cage decision, because of the wood. It would be reduced to splinters, after a while.
JessiMuse
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:13 am

I just looked at the cage that you posted a picture of, the first one that is wire with plastic bottom. I have two such cages that are the largest that I could find online that I use only for a pair of parrotlets and a pair of budgies only. A cockatiel is not much larger than a budgie until you add their tail Which you still must allow room for, so while you may be able to make it work for a single cockatiel it is really not a good option for other than a sleeping cage or for a travel cage. You will do much better shopping online rather than at a pet store for your cages. You will not only find better prices you will find a much larger choice in types of cages. And I would always look for flight cages as they provide more width than the standard cages.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Housing