Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Create your own cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Create your own cage?

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:03 pm

So basically my sennie's cage is getting more and more worn, some of the joints are beginning to show signs of rusting, so I've been looking into getting a new cage.

I wanted something much bigger than their original cage (3 1/2 foot tall, 2 foot wide, 3 foot long) so have asked both rosemead and avifab for estimates on a 6 foot long, 3 foot tall and deep cage. The prices seem ok and the cages also come with legs and pull out trays. They'd prefer to make the cages in 3/4 inch squared metal bars but have agreed to make them smaller if I want.

My question was has anyone ever brought a 'make your own cage' from somewhere like rosemead or avifabs and if so what you thought of the cage?

Have probably asked this before but is 3/4 an appropriate bar spacing? My sennies have had that spacing for the last 4 years and have been fine. Also what would be an ideal gauge ( 2 mm is definitely too small- my senies can bend that).

Thanks.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Create your own cage?

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:07 am

I've found places that make custom cages, but they're using a stainless steel mesh, while I'd rather have stainless steel bars.

I am adopting a disabled Hispaniolan Amazon. She cannot fly, or climb, so floor space is her only space. I have a 30x18x30 cage, but it has 3/8" spacing and it intended for smaller birds. I'd like to have a cage in about those dimensions, but made for an small amazon.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:58 am

Aluminium is the type of metal both these manufacturers use, their based in the UK but say they will send their cages worldwide. They also make their cage purely for parrot (I've seen one which does stainless steel but they main manufactuered for human security).

Why can't your new amazon fly or climb? If she can't climb the cage, essentially a bigger bar spacing wouldn't matter?

I've heard of birds without toes being kept in large fish tanks (without water! :lol: ) because their stubbed feet would fall through the floor of a mesh/barred bird cage, if your bird can't perch or grip but you're adamant about using the cage, you could always place a thin strip of wood across half of the cage floor so she has something comfortably sit/stand on when she sleeps.

If you really want a bigger version of the cage you already have, Rosemead or avi fabs (rosemead always seems the more friendly of the two) would give you a free estimate of how much a cage would be to buy, you could even just buy a few panels from them and make your own cage- ask them how to go about that first though.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby liz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:25 am

Navre wrote:I've found places that make custom cages, but they're using a stainless steel mesh, while I'd rather have stainless steel bars.

I am adopting a disabled Hispaniolan Amazon. She cannot fly, or climb, so floor space is her only space. I have a 30x18x30 cage, but it has 3/8" spacing and it intended for smaller birds. I'd like to have a cage in about those dimensions, but made for an small amazon.

navre, please keep me updated on your care of the new bird. gimpy only has one leg and the other he twists underneath him for balance. he can't walk or perch but can climb short distance so I give him little platforms at different levels. (climb to one - rest - climb to another -...) he could not fly so I put it on the floor. the others went down and started hanging on his cage or even getting in with him. one time his cage was so crowded that he was shoved out so I put two more small cages on the floor with doors open. he could not go to the others so the others went to him. his prior humans gave him insult to injury by clipping his wings. they are starting to grow out and I am really hopping he will be able to fly. I will then add platforms in the room instead of just perches. I could really use the info you come up with.
since I still have all the old cages they came in, I am going to connect two rectangles to make a big square. since they are on the floor and will be until gimpy can fly, I don't put bottoms on the cages. I just set them down on paper so I can keep it clean just by lifting it.
I thought this post would go with "make your own cage".
I had just gone to fosters and smith and paid the $100 for a large light weight cage for the others back when they were caged.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:55 pm

I'm not sure how a bird with bad feet can safely fly and land. Tanya chews the feathers on one of her wings, so I don't know if she'll ever be able to fly. I don't think she has the strength, yet, anyhow.

Someone suggested that I look at ferret cages.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:57 pm

I'll start a thread for Tanya when she gets here.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:01 pm

You got her? YAY !
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Home visit is Friday. Not sure exactly when I will have her.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Waiting on pins and needles.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:23 am

Gimpy does not have all the feathers he needs for flight but can flap and travel across the floor. He has one leg missing and the other is twisted by using it to balance. I pad the bottom of his cage and will pad platforms when he is fully flighted. I don't know if the others are aware of his problem but they know something. Since he can't get up on a perch half of them stay on the floor with him at any time.
If she can fly she at least has some of her birdie freedom.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing