Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gilmore needs help

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Gilmore needs help

Postby GilmoreDaBird » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Hello,

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this, here goes.

I live with a nine year old African Grey, Gilmore.

I have recently lost my job and am unable to properly care for him. After scouring the internet, I have found the perfect home for him (flabirdsanctuary.com/TheBirdSanctuary/), please check out their website. I have been in contact with FEBS for a few weeks now. They are a wonderful organization and really do care and do the right thing for these wonderful creatures, In order to have Gilmore placed with them they require an initial fee of $600. This is totally understandable since they have 600+ birds to take care of and as you can imagine that would take quite a bit of money and effort. I asked if they would consider taking Gilmore without the initial $600. Unfortunately they cannot. They (Bob) explained to me that they have responsibility to the birds they already have and wouldn't be fair to them. It is completely understandable.

I am reaching out to the parrot community for help. I'm trying to raise the $600 for Gilmore. I'm asking for anyone to donate anything, $5, $10 anything you can afford. If you can give to Gilmore's cause please send the funds directly to FPS C/O Gilmore. Their address is:

Florida Exotic Bird Sanctuary Inc.
8933 Casper Ave, Hudson, FL 34667

If you need to contact me for any reason you can email me at angelof1964@gmail.com or call me directly at 386-333-4658

Below are the emails I've sent to FEBS explaining my situation:

Hello,
please let me begin by saying this is one of the hardest emails i've had to write.
My name is Angelo Foos, I have an 8 yr old African Gray, Gilmore (soon to be 9, nov. 24th)
I am looking for a home for Gilmore and after searching the web I,m confident your sanctuary is where he would be the happiest.
I've recently lost my job and and finances have been bleak to say the least. I've come to the realization that he needs more than I can provide.
Gilmore has never had his wings clipped, I always thought that a bird should be able to do what he was born to do. He has never been locked in a cage and is very happy and self sufficient (to say the least). I live in a home where my outside patio has been chicken wired and the door is always open if he chooses to go out.
He talks more than I do and understands many concepts like, snack time, dinner time, "go nite nite" and "play guitar?" he even catches a ball and tells me to "throw it".
I've included a link below of a few videos (none too recent)

Please let me know if you can help Gilmore live a full life like he deserves

thanks for your time

http://www.youtube.com/user/strangelynormal2/videos

Read more: http://africangreyparrot.info/thread/76 ... z3s3kmjfwZ
GilmoreDaBird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Gilmore needs help

Postby liz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:01 pm

We have forum members in FL. Where are you?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GilmoreDaBird » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:56 pm

hi,
Port Orange Fl.
GilmoreDaBird
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:55 pm

If I may ask, why do you want him to go to this sanctuary instead of looking for a place to rehome him?
I would also think that a much better use for a forum would be to find him a home rather than what you are doing.
Basically I am putting down my thoughts as I have them. There are so many things running through my mind since reading this as well as your introduction and to tell you the truth I don't know what to think about this and it poses so many questions concerning this and many of them are not pleasant thoughts, but I will not really mention any of them. Still I really would want to know more about the situation. Things like are you losing your place to stay? Can't you find any type of work to get you through until a job in your field becomes available? What do you do for employment anyway. Due to the nature of a Grey's diet, provided that you have insured that he is eating enough of a variety of fruits, vegetables and nuts, he can do just fine sharing most of the foods that you can eat. Because of this as long as you are not losing your place of residence there is not a real need to rehome him as long as you get some form of employment for now. So what is going on here that we don't understand about this situation?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:22 am

Myrtle gets her own place at the table and I give her anything unsalted without butter. I never give her meat. The only food I buy for my Amazons is the seed they get in the evening. Some times they only eat a few seeds because they filled up on the veggies and carbs that I eat. If money gets really tight and you have to tighten your belt his can be tightened too.
Where I am from poor food is white beans and cornbread. Both of .these are loved by birds. It is not a balanced diet but will surfice for a short turm.

I will look up Port Orange. I like to drive and you may need something I have an excess of.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby GilmoreDaBird » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi Wolf,
I am losing my place of residence, I have looked and continue looking for employment. If you read the emails I've sent to FEBS all of this is explained. Please understand, Gilmore is my #1 priority, I can live in a box as far as I'm concerned. There are several reasons as to why I prefer the sanctuary as opposed to rehomeing. The number one reason is, It would be difficult to make certain the new home would be appropriate. I'm not very trusting when it comes to Gilmore. I need to ensure his caretaker will allow him to fly and be a bird. He has never had his wings clipped and has NEVER been locked in a cage. The sanctuary can insure this, a random person cannot. Also, I have spoken to them extensively, since I am at the moment, jobless, I'm able and willing to move and resettle near the sanctuary. I plan on volunteering and seeing Gilmore every day. Believe me I have considered and reconsidered this decision, I am doing what I feel is best for him, not for me. Every time I talk or write about this my eyes well up with tears, but knowing that I will still be able to see and interact with him every day, I'm able to accept it.
Not sure what your unmentioned concerns are, but please, if you'd like I would like to put your mind at ease. There is nothing going on here other than what I explained.

Again, thanks for your time,
Angelo
GilmoreDaBird
Parakeet

Postby liz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:49 pm

I am a little over 2 hours from you. It is about the same distance I was from Wolf in NC.
If there is anything I have or can do to help you just yell.

This is a heart felt offer and not just hot air.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby GilmoreDaBird » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Liz,
Thank you so much for your offer. For now, I have plenty of food for him and he is well taken care of. I'm happy to see that there are still people like you and Wolf that are genuinely concerned. I'll keep you in mind if things get to the point to where I would need your help. THANK YOU
GilmoreDaBird
Parakeet

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Liz, want another parrot? (Just saying...)
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Return to Housing