Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

3/4 by 3/4 inch or inch by inch mesh for senegal?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

3/4 by 3/4 inch or inch by inch mesh for senegal?

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Getting a custom cage built by Rosemead, they've told me that they always use inch by inch 16 gauge mesh for senegals and senegal sized conures, I've looked at this type of mesh before and think it seems fine, but was also told that if I wanted they could make the cage from 3/4 by 3/4 15 gauge mesh instead, I prefer the inch by inch but am unsure if 3/4 by 3/4 would be the safer option?

The cage will be made entirely out of aluminium.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: 3/4 by 3/4 inch or inch by inch mesh for senegal?

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:59 am

Had to think about this a bit before replying. So I made a 1 inch square and compared it to Kiki Senegal's head and I think that you should be fine with the 1 inch mesh.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:19 am

I'll be honest with you, I don't like cages made with mesh. I had one for the cardinals (they came in it) and although the wood was beautifully finished (it was also custom-made and it looked like a fine piece of furniture, it had its own stand and everything), I couldn't wait to get them a real flight cage (I don't like the 'claustrophobic' feeling it gives me because of the wood required to support the mesh panels, even the door had a wood frame). But, that's me and people are using the material more and more for birds cages nowadays so, most likely, it's just my pickiness...

Now, make sure this is good anodized aluminum and not just plain, OK? You can't use plain and the powder coated is usually black and the coating very thin so I would not recommend that one, either.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm more fond of bars rather than mesh aswell (mainly because I figure mesh isn't as easy to clean) but I can't find any cages that are any where near the same size as the one Rosemead could make- 2 ft deep, 6 ft long and 3 ft tall, the entire cage will be made with non powdered aluminium, the website has many photos of examples of it's work, they have been in the business for at least 20 years and I have talked to some of their long time customers. Was wondering what your opinion would be on inch by inch square mesh over 3/4 by 3/4 and if inch by inch is too dangerous?
The photo is one of their example cages, smaller than the one I'm wanting to go for though.
Attachments
aluminium 1.jpg
example
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Return to Housing