Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New bird owner!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New bird owner!

Postby Matheus9373 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:39 am

So I am new to having a bird. And I've got some questions
1) my room is not heated because it's the draftiest, but I'm getting a heater for my room is that ok? (I know no tephalon)
2) I don't smoke but my mom does but not in my room and my door is always closed will that be a problem?
3) The whole of the house is heated with a wood burning stove. Will my bird be hurt/have problems from that? :redbelly:
Matheus9373
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: New bird owner!

Postby liz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 am

Welcome to the forum.
Others on this forum have more knowledge than me. But the thing that I caught was the drafty room. Birds can go to 65 degrees but they cannot take a draft. Find the least drafty place in your room. Night seems colder so cove him on top and all sides but leave a peak hole at the end of a perch. If you feel it is too cold you can put a heating pad under his cover but set on low.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:56 am

As for the heater for your room the safest is the oil filled radiator type as it provides heat but is rarely hot enough to burn their feet if they do land on it.
Drafts are not good at all for your bird so you need to get some caulking and seal the room to eliminate as many as you can and perhaps put curtains on the sides of the cage leaving one side open for light and so the bird can see out when it is in the cage. The extra curtains on the sides of the cage are not the best solution but drafts can make your bird sick.
Smoking and smoke from any source is not good for your bird and in high enough concentrations can kill your bird. Unfortunately it is not just the airborne smoke that creates problems for our birds it is also the residue that is deposited on everything from the smoke.
Wood smoke, especially from backdrafts are really bad and are heavy enough that I would be concerned that it could kill my bird. A bird is at least 20 times more sensitive to smoke and other airborne substances than we are and it takes them two breaths to move the first breath out of their body whereas it only takes us one.
Many old houses that depended on wood for heat were uninsulated and drafty and this did help a little to circulate the heat and helped to prevent backdrafts because there was enough of an air exchange to feed the wood stove allowing it to draw properly. In more modern homes the insulation may seal of the drafts well enough that the house builds a negative pressure causing the stove to not draw properly and creating backdrafts. The only cure for that is to open a window in the room with the stove in it to give it enough air to draw correctly or to vent the air intake of the stove to the outside, again so that it can draw properly.
I hope that this helps you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Matheus9373 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Than you for the help! My bird will really appreciate the fact the I'm willing to learn. Thinking on it my room is only drafty when it gets whindy (I live in Washington) but I'm starting to keep a heater near the window. The only problem it that's it's my windows that's drafty and that's cause my window does not fit the frame I also have curtains on the Windows that are shut most of the time. :? Would putting a air purifier in my room help with the smoke risk? Thankfully I don't like the smoke either so my mom is carful to try and blow the smoke out the window :gcc:
Matheus9373
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Conure

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:25 pm

It sounds like you have an old wood frame window, you could cover it with plastic for the winter. I really don't know how much an air purifier would help, especially in a downdraft situation. I think it would help with particulates but I don't know if it could filter out things like carbon monoxide. I use an air purifier so I do recommend that you use one and placing a towel or something similar at the bottom of your bedroom door would also help with blocking smoke from getting into your room.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:09 am

my opinion
If your mom is a considerate smoker she can smoke in the farthest part of the house. I smoke either in my room or out on the back deck. ( I have the advantage of living in FL. It is not yet 6 am and the temperature is 73 degrees.)
Wolf' solution to the draft is the same one I thought of. With plastic on the window to insulate you should only need to close your curtains at night. You need to invest in a "bird light". Mine look like regular flouresent bulbs and fit in any ceiling fixture or lamp (take cover off lamp). The UV light will also benefit you. In the north the worst part of winter is not so much cold as it is depressing to have limited sunshine. The bulbs give you sunshine and help your health too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:23 am

Not UV light. Never UV light. It needs to be a full spectrum one with a CRI of 93 or higher and Ktemp of 5000-5500.

Yes, the plastic around the window is a good idea (and it's cheap and very easy to install) and they also sell foam thingies you stick around the edges of the door to insulate them that would do great for the smoke.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing