Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

where and what to buy for metal type frame aviary enclosure?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

where and what to buy for metal type frame aviary enclosure?

Postby Superman2016 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:36 am

I have a huge space sectioned off by chain link fence within my property. I want to either add on to that, or replace the chain link with whatever is needed. But basically it need to be raised up higher to about 10-20 feet, and enclosed, with a large swing door on the outside. and a section closed off from the large door for double protection (so two large entrances ) . The width is probably going to be about 10-20 feet , and the length is real long . Maybe hundreds of feet . So basically like a long rectangle. I still need to do measurements. This is only to let my birds free fly, in an enclosure for fun , exercise and for training purposes. I want it to be very basic , sorta like what you see with a out door dog kennel, but obviously with smaller spacing holes in the wire, than with a chain link fence. I canot afford to do it now. But would like to know where to go to begin planning my purchasing of supplies for it. Do I just go to lowes ? or home depo?
Superman2016
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: where and what to buy for metal type frame aviary enclosure?

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Lowe's or home Depot will not be good enough as they do not carry the right materials. You will need to do a search online for either a stainless steel or anodized aluminum wire mesh for your birds, I will say that either of these materials are expensive.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:02 pm

And by expensive, we mean thousands of dollars in materials alone.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:03 am

Took me almost 2k for materials to build an 10 by 20 with food grade stainless as well as food grade stainless supports catches and wire for welding. My husband has the right kind of welder for repairs we make at the restaurant on our equipment ( takes a special welder) I got stuck with all the little detail grinder work so there was no sharp edges. GO FIGURE !!! :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:24 am

As far as I know, the stainless steel or anodized aluminum wire mesh is only available online. And yes, it's thousands of dollars... I have a friend who enclosed her entire wrap-around porch with it so she could put her macaws outside during the warm weather just to have her neighbors complain to the police so it was all for nothing!

If you are going for it, don't forget to make a roof over part of it so they can find relief from the sun.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:24 am

As well as providing relief from the sun, a partial roof is also a good place for their drinking water and any food that you might put out for them as it will keep the wild birds from pooping it them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Housing