Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek housing

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Green Cheek housing

Postby maryannelouise » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 am

Hi, at the moment I have 6 green cheeks, they're separated into two groups of 3.

Originally I had 3 pairs, but we had a weird summer and unfortunately lost 3 of my beautiful birds. I had 1 male left, a younger female, and an older, very fussy girl who we've had for years as a rescue. They're all currently in one big avairy together, while we were deciding what to do.

We also had 4 babies from the original pairs, who were brought up inside after the parents died, 1 baby went to a new home but the other 3 were so beautiful we decided to keep them and they went back outside into their own aviary.

At the moment, the cage the babies are in is very old, very heavy timber and has lots of small gaps I'm trying to block up but sparrows are getting in and we're currently planning on building an all new aviary for our birds.

Long story short, I'm asking, is it okay to house conures all together? We're many months away from breeding season but I'm not sure if it's a good idea... Never put green cheeks together before, I've only had them for a couple of years. Any advice would be appreciated.
maryannelouise
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conures, cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek housing

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:19 pm

It is really a matter of how well they all get along with each other, The other factors that need to be considered is their ages. Most of the time it does not work out very well to put adult birds and juvenile birds together. It is also very helpful to know what all of their sexes are so that you can maintain this in balance.

It sounds as if all of your birds are in aviaries and not in cages. This could make introductions more difficult as it is not easy to move aviaries so that they are next to each other so that you can observe how they interact together. Also the size of the aviaries, can make a difference on how they all get along as it could work out pretty well if there is enough room for them to get away from each other if need be.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing