Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

remote controlled hinge to shut cage door from a distance

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

remote controlled hinge to shut cage door from a distance

Postby stevenn21 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:10 pm

anyone know of a remote controlled hinge to shut cage door from a distance?

my new ringneck will go back in his cage when im not around but when i come in the door within 8ft of the cage he flies out. i tried using string but he sees it moving and flies out.

i let him stay out most of the time whenever he wants but there are times i just need to keep him in the cage he is not tame wont come near me
stevenn21
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: remote controlled hinge to shut cage door from a distance

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:17 pm

I dont think there are remote control hinges lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:26 am

Stevenn21 ;

It sounds like you need to put your bird food and water inside of his cage only, so that he becomes accustomed to going in it to eat and drink. Then you should turn off the lights in the room while it is still light outside and leave them off until it is dark and your bird goes to roost. Make sure that you know where he normally sleeps if he does not do this in his cage. Then get yourself a towel and a very small pen type flashlight and locate your bird and put the towel over him and gently place him in the cage for the rest of the night. This is the easiest way to catch him and get him in his cage.

Seriously, I tried to let you know how to begin to tame your bird back in you first posting here, and you really need to consider hand taming your bird for your benefit as well as his. IRN's will very often revert to wild type behavior if you do not take the time to first handtame them and then to spend enough one on one time with you and this is what it appears to be happening with you and your bird. This will not improve if you will not put forth the time and energy to bring it about. You will find that if you will do this that not only will you be able to let your bird be out and about in your home most of the time but that the bird will actually want to spend the majority of its time out of the cage with you, allowing you to build an extraordinary relationship with him.

Please ask yourself if the relationship that you currently have with your bird is the relationship that you had in mind when you first got him. If it is not them start a new topic and tell us about you and your bird and the relationship that you would like to have and we will do our very best to help you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JaydeParrot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:30 am

I really think remote controlled would be a bad idea, if it malfunctioned your bird could get squashed! If it's night time wait outside until you hear him go to his cage and then quickly flip the light off, parrots can't see too well in the dark so he'll probably have to stay put.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Regardless of the type of parrot that any of us have the first and most important thing for us to do is to gain their trust, without establishing this trust we end up with birds that will not interact with us because they are afraid and don't trust us. Please try to slow down a bit and concentrate your efforts on the taming method that I first gave to you and try to let him out in the early evening for now about 2 hours before dusk and his dinner time so that he does have a chance to get some exercise and burn off some of his excess energy and then he will be more willing to return to his cage for his dinner and to go to roost at dark just like every other bird in the world ( except those like owls) naturally do.

This also works better if the feeding schedule is such that he gets whole grains and fruits and vegetables to et during the day and only receives the high protein foods such as seeds and/ or pellets for his dinner.

Try to establish a schedule for your bird such as he gets fresh raw produce early in the mornings shortly after sun rise and then a food such as gloop or mash or chop about an hour later but give him enough food to last him until dinnertime. Then about an hour after he has had his breakfast a period of training and personal interaction with you would be both appropriate and very beneficial for both of you. then let him relax through the middle of the day and make sure that he has some toys of various type to keep him occupied physically and mentally then a couple of hours before his dinnertime around dusk you should have another training period and personal interaction time for him and then let him out for exercise and exploring his home and then it is time for dinner and preparing to go to sleep.

this is just a very simple and basic schedule that can easily be changed as you gain experience as well as his trust so that you can develop a great relationship with your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Housing