Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot at College

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Parrot at College

Postby Khione » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but wanted to ask a question: I am currently enrolled in college, just finished my first year, and next year I decided that I would like to have a feathered companion with me at college. I live in a spacious dorm (it was a motel before being converted into a dorm) with one roommate (he is all for the idea, he has grown up with parrots), and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what kind of bird I should look into? I also live out of state, so I would need a bird that is somewhat hardier and is able to fly with me on a plane 4 times a year, as I would prefer he remained with me at all times instead of having a friend look after him while I'm gone. I have a good amount of experience with parrots, my military macaw is currently at home (I would love to bring him but he is just too loud and I think would prefer his aviary at home to a cage at college) and I also worked at a local companion bird store. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Khione
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Military Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot at College

Postby liz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 am

A parrot in college would do a lot to get you through the fast pace of college. He would be a great benefit to you and your roommate. As long as you worked on giving him enough enrichment he would be okay to leave while in class..
I have four concerns though. Will you be able to supply him with fresh foods? Does your roommate understand that the bird is a being and deserves respect? Can you protect him from idiots? Your roommate might have company come in the room. Does your roommate realize that bird humans will kill to protect their birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:46 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think that Liz may have missed where you said that your roommate was not only in favor of the parrot idea, but also grew up with parrots.

I never try to tell a person what kind of parrot will work for them, but that is because of my reservations. I am wondering what species of parrots that you are considering and why, I also think that since your room mate will be involved that you might want to consider his/ her preferences as well. Write them down and then look for the right bird at a rescue.

We do have several members that are involved with college and have birds as well and perhaps they will be inclined to share some of their experiences with you as that might also help you with this. One thing that I would suggest is that you avoid any powder down birds since you have a macaw and powder down birds would just cause respiratory problems for the macaw when it came home with you. You would have to check the laws if you were to want a Quaker as they are illegal in some states.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Khione » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks for responding! My roommate really does not have a preference, though we've both agreed no overly powdery birds, and no large macaws or large birds in general. What we really want is an intelligent, affectionate bird that will bond with us. We are really in this together, and have made sure that our schedules allow one of us to be in the room with the bird for the majority of the day, except maybe 1-2 hours a day. I hear small birds are not well suited for traveling, so we were thinking maybe a medium sized bird, like a conure (crimson bellied or green cheek) and someone also recommended mustache parakeets. Any ideas?
Khione
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Military Macaw

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:53 pm

Actually since they are territorial by nature and don't leave their natural feeding and nesting areas at all, it is my opinion that no parrot is very well suited for traveling. For instance, let us ay you have the bird and you have been living with it at school and there is a long break and you take the bird with you on the plane. This is a totally new experience for the bird and that alone is terrifying enough for it. but where is the bird going to be while traveling? Is it going to be in the cargo hold, which means special preparations and the bird is separated from you during this time which adds to its fear. Or is it going to travel with you sort of like a carry on? Being where it can see and hear you is not going to eliminate its fear but it will reduce it a lot. but then again you may have to keep it covered to keep it quiet on the flight. I don't know. So you make it home and set the bird up in its cage at your home, this is a new place and the bird is scared as it is very much like rehoming the bird with the only difference being that you are there for it so if you interact with it enough it will adjust more quickly as it draws some of its feelings of security and well being from your presence. But still it is in a new and unfamiliar place and will still be afraid and stressed. It will take the bird a few times of going through this before it can adjust to it, but it will adjust to some degree depending on the frequency of traveling in this manner and it will become familiar with its space at both ends, but since I don't do this I really can't tell you how long it would take, just what its initial effects on the bird will most likely be. The bird may adjust quickly or it may take it several trips.

I know that Michaels birds are frequent flyers, but then he has his own plane so it is different and could better tell you about it than I could. I am just using what I know about parrots to present what in most likely the initial reaction of the bird to this type of thing recognizing that they do stress until they adjust to it.

Still waiting and hoping that someone with more knowledge about this than myself will pop in and speak to you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:22 am

Wolf, even if my roommate was online with me having a parrot I would be concerned about his social life and how many and what kind of humans will visit in my room when I was not there.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:53 am

Of course you would and so would anyone else that has a bird they care about. Just sounded like you missed the part of her room mate being accustomed to living with parrots. Maybe you didn't,
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:25 am

Sorry if I chose the words that came out wrong. Being a protective Mom I think of future possible problems.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:20 am

You are fine, Liz.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby galeriagila » Mon May 30, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm late to this discussion, but...
I have been there and done that! :P
I got my bird when I was in grad school. His noise necessitated my move to a rental that was rough to afford. That was the worst of it. The best of it was having a loving companion on my shoulder while I bumbled through all the tedium of research, reports, etc. There were times I could not BELIEVE I had brought this burden on myself AND the bird, but one way or another, we kept making do. Every residential choice I made after school had to take the bird into consideration. There were years when I know he did without enough attention, but all I can say is that I did my best. Now that I'm retired, we're both back to a life of leisure. Parrots are lifetime friends, as we all know, And a lifetime always has changes, complications, compromises...
I'm not sure whether I'm trying to encourage or discourage getting a bird while in college. I can't say it was always good for me OR the bird, but we made it. I CAN say that I can't imagine being without him today!
galeriagila
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Next

Return to Housing