Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lovebird cage size?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Lovebird cage size?

Postby April0684 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Peach Faced Lovebird that I've had for years and years. She is still doing quite well and I have been thinking about getting her a new cage because the one she has now is so old and probably not the correct dimensions for her. I did some research online and have found this cage and was just wanting to get others opinions on if it would be a good fit for her or not? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176F5L ... ref=plSrch
Elizabeth :lovebird:
April0684
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Faced Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: Lovebird cage size?

Postby Wolf » Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am often amused at the manufacturers choice of words in referring to these cages as flight cages as even for birds as small as lovebirds they don't really provide much of an area for the bird to fly in. But, my amusement aside this appears to be a nice enough size of a cage and should prove to be adequate in size for your lovebird. especially if it gets enough time out of its cage on a daily basis.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby April0684 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:51 am

Thank you! I have just now ordered it and it says it should be arriving by the 11th! I'm looking forward to it as I know Elizabeth is going to love all the extra space! Thanks so much for your response!
April0684
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes, it is a great size for a single bird.

Wolf, these 'flight' cages were all created for birds the size of canaries or finches and, although they are not really very big, the trick is to put just one perch on each side (so there is a good space between them and the bird needs to flap its wings more than 5 times to go from one to another) and only up on top with the food at the bottom (so the bird needs to acquire a good uplift to go from the bottom to the perches). They don't really provide a whole lot of 'flying' but the birds get a good enough exercise in a small space.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri May 06, 2016 8:45 pm

That is exactly the reason for my amusement at them being called flight cages, although I thought that I said that they don't actually proved room for flight. Maybe I was not clear enough on that.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby April0684 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 pm

I got the cage Monday and oh boy was it ever an adventure! One of the four food cups came out of the box with one side's clip ons broken so my dad drilled a small hole through it and made a homemade fix for it so it will hang in the cage. Next up the instructions it came with showed the cage sides labeled but of course the cage sides weren't labeled so we were doing our best guess at what was the top, bottom, and sides upper and lower. Then on top of all that one side came warped a bit so it was almost impossible to get it to fit together on that side. My dad actually had to hammer it into place. It took us three working on it for about 4 hours straight but in the end we got it all put together and now she seems so small in her new cage! I know she was happy though because she started making her happy tweets and has been flying around her cage exploring all of her new space! :swaying:
April0684
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 12, 2016 10:05 am

:lol: Yes, some cages are a Federal project to put together, aren't they? My husband and I have become experts on it but we still have to work together to do it right... and, sometimes, even four hands are not enough!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby April0684 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:51 pm

:lol: Yes, it certainly was! Our six hands didn't seem like enough!
April0684
Parakeet

Return to Housing