Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Aviary Questions

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New Aviary Questions

Postby XenaRufioAngel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:22 pm

i gotta 6mo Goffin(Angel) a Grey (Rufio) and a Senegal (Xena) who get along surprisingly well. They don't preen each other, but for being different sizes and species, they stay out of each others way. I have an old hot tub getting removed today and Im going to convert the gazebo around it into a 10x10x12 aviary. Its got a concrete slab underneath. So I should be golden.

Questions...Xena is 100% fully flighted but Rufio is close but not yet fully flighted, Ive had Rufio (7yrs) about a year and I dont think its previous owners ever let his wings grow in. It refuses to hop, glide, or use its wings unless absolutely necessary.

What can I expect from giving it this larger living space? Will it eventually fly? is their some sort of training I can teach an older bird who's never flown?

Angel the Goffins wings are freshly clipped by the breeder, should I hold off on putting it in the aviary until it wings a fully back.
THANKS!!!
Delete
XenaRufioAngel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal-Xena
African Grey-Rufio
Goffins Cockatoo-Angel
Flight: Yes

Re: New Aviary Questions

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: New Aviary Questions

Postby Suzzique » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:30 pm

The way we tought Martini to fly is similar to how Michael tought Kili. If a bird has never flowen then they do not have the musles to do any real flying even once the flights have come back in. While we waited for Martini to molt out the clipped flights we did several things. First he was not allowed to ride around on shoulders. If he went anywhere with us he was held on a finger (or fingers/hand for larger birds) and his toes held onto (so he wouldn't fall) and we would move our hand down fast enough to make him flap. So he had to work the musles. We did this for a few months. We gradually started with short hops from one person to another. Again far enough away that he had to flap. As he got better we would move further apart. He was already flying from his cage to the coffee table before he molted out the first time (took 2 molts to get all the clipped flights). I'm sure having our fully flighted cag flying all over the place helped give him the idea as well. His control continues to improve all the time. He still doesn't do some of the amazing things that Alex can. But I'm not sure if it's because they are different types of birds or just because he doesn't feel the need to.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Return to Housing