Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this cage any good?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Is this cage any good?

Postby Iva » Sun May 22, 2016 5:50 am

I have been looking into getting this cage for my puberty-addled kakariki. It's 105x60x50 cm (there's a 120x60x50, but I'm not sure if I could pick it up, physically, if so), the bar spacing is 1.4mm.

Like this.

We plan to get some elements that only the larger cage has, hence the picture of that one, too.

I understand that wooden protection around the feeders would reduce the mess. But I'm curious about the closed back side. Is that common or not? Is it wrong or right?

Elements can be changed as necessary. I have seen beautiful wooden perches in this person's other cages.

Thanks for any tips. :)
Iva
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-crowned kakariki
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this cage any good?

Postby liz » Sun May 22, 2016 6:51 am

That is a beauty.
I put all my heavy furniture on wheels. It makes it easy to push it out of the way and clean under it.
I use the wire platforms on the tall cages as well as perches. I put a piece of cardboard in so that the bird does not poop down on the things underneath. Then I can put a toy at each platform. It makes it a multi level home.
The solid back is good for keeping walls clean as most cages get pushed up against a wall.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun May 22, 2016 7:45 am

That surely is a beautiful cage and if it were for birds like finches or canaries or other small birds that do not spend a lot of time climbing and chewing on wood, I think that it would be a wonderful cage. But for a parrot, I think I would just admire the beauty of the cage and the workmanship that went into making it and then go and get a cage that the parrot is less likely to destroy during the first year.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Iva » Sun May 22, 2016 9:47 am

Liz, thank you. :)

Wolf, does this mean you would recommend a cage completely made of metal? I have some options there, too. Some man is selling those made by a famous company (not sure if I'm allowed to say its name) and I have also seen an example of this other person's work:

http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kavez-12 ... -oglas.htm
Iva
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 22, 2016 12:04 pm

The cage is a beauty and the solid back doesn't really matter because you would still put a cage that is open on all sides against a wall so the solid 'back' would still be there but I do not recommend any cage that has wood in it, not even for passerines like finches or canaries. Because even when the birds are not parrots (which, as we all know, chew wood), you can't really tell if the wood has been treated or not and that is a problem, then you have the fact that you can't clean wood properly (too porous, the poop will end up staining it and the bacteria will remain in it) and red mites burrow into wood (it's where they live, actually) but they stay away from metal.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Iva » Sun May 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Pajarita, we don't have those here, I think, but we have wood boring weevils and, yes, they ate some parquet in all of our rooms in the past. So, that definitely rules out the wood cage.

And what do you think about the other one and the M... ones (apparently, the only good kind we have here)? In both cases, I wonder if there's a reason for such a large door, but perhaps you and the others here know something I don't know. :geek:
Iva
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 23, 2016 9:24 am

I don't know of any place on earth where there aren't bird mites but you know better than me what is found in your country than me :D

I don't see a link for any other cage so I can't comment on the 'other one' but this is the kind I would recommend for a kakariki: http://thegardenstore.com/a-e-cage-flig ... ith-stand/. As to the large door, it's common to have them in songbirds flight cages (which is what this cage wants to be -it's not because there isn't enough horizontal space for them to fly)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Iva » Mon May 23, 2016 10:25 am

I apologise - I somehow thought this was a wood pest. We definitely have those, yes. :) D'oh!

And that cage looks like some of the options I've been considering, or close.
Iva
Parakeet

Return to Housing