Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quality cage brands

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Quality cage brands

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:36 am

I know Kings Cages are usually good, but what are other good brands?

I think I might be needing a 3 foot by 2 foot cage, with bar spacing no more than 3/4". I don't want to go less than the three foot dimension, but I can't go much more than 2 feet deep. Kings has a 32"x24", but when you get to 36" wide, they become a bit deeper and the bar spacing increases.

We have made the mistake of ordering off the internet, and getting really bad quality stuff. We have a Macaw cage with bars so weak, it can't even support the weight of a properly sized perch. All the perches have to go all the way across, for added support. I think that was a Prevue/Hendrix, so I'd avoid that brand.

(I don't think Michael is affiliated with any cage makers, so I don't think I'm stepping on any toes, here)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Quality cage brands

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:56 am

While I am not familiar enough with the different brands of cages to be of much help, I would not worry about stepping on toes. If a particular brand of cage is crap it should be called crap so that they can either improve their product of go out of business. If a company looks at it properly a bad review of their product can be of more value than a glowing review.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:52 am

I never check the brand name... I buy them from ABBA (the owner always gives me a great discount so I end up paying almost wholesale) and I just look and touch them (I also scratch them HARD to see if the powder coating comes off easily). But I know I have a couple of Prevue ones that have been good so far. I don't have macaws although I doubt their beaks are much stronger than a cockatoo's.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm kind of trying not to buy from any place that is breeding and selling birds. I'm not super strict about it, but for a major purchase, like a cage, I'd rather not. The problem is, the only places I can really look at cages in person are pet stores/ bird breeders. Even the big chains like petco and petsmart don't really have any appropriate cages. Their biggest cage is the one k have my greencheek in. I could use one of those for a TAG, but the bars are too close, and since it is a big square, it won't fit through doors in the house. (I think it's 30x30)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 pm

It sounds like it is bigger than that. Most doors in houses are either 32 or 36 inch although there are still a few old houses where some of the inside doorways are only 30 inches.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:08 am

Why don't you look at the cages they have at the rescue and choose from them the brand and style you think it's best and then order it online? I got a nice cage for Linus (he likes eating and sleeping in it) at ABBA and, so far, it's still in perfect shape. So it's Freddy's but he has learned to open the locks and gets out on his own even though I have added two more to the two the door has (the bird is a freaking whiz at opening locks, even the ones that you need to unscrew!)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 pm

So many of the cages have no info on them, and quite often they're old enough that even if you find the info, that model isn't made anymore. I was looking at his cage today. It's only 32x24, but it does seem big enough for him. I wanted to go with 36, but that's the point at which many manufacturers start increasing the bar spacing.

We have a Macaw named Max who is an escape artist. She can defeat any lock that came on her cage. All the doors, even the food doors, are now secured with the c-clamps we use to hang toys. And you have to make sure you catch 2 horizontal bars and a vertical bar, or she'll get out of that, too.

She's a greening, but she'll fit through a food door.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm leaning towards a 32x23 kings with 5/8" bar spacing. The next size up is 36x28, but it has 1" bar spacing. Nicky is a small TAG. I think 1" is too wide. Plus 28" is more than I wanted for the narrowest measure.

This cage also has a double perch play top. This may keep the turquoise torpedo from getting her feet bitten.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Return to Housing