Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rocko and Loki ready to breed

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Rocko and Loki ready to breed

Postby liz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:10 am

I am quite certain that you are able to raise chicks. After all the parent do the work and you just get to play with them.

I am totally against breeders. Most of them just want money. You said you would keep one and give one to a friend then sell the rest.

I never sold any of my little cockatiel surprises. (I could not kill the baby in the egg). I found homes for them. It was not easy because I had to make sure the little being's human was ready and able to care for them. I also told them that if and when they decide to give them up that they should come back to me.

I think I searched for 3 months before I found a bird that was in need of me. Yes, I paid $300 to get her but she needed me. The human I got her from did not take time with her and did not know what a treasure she is.

Please search for one of the little birdy beings that need you. Yes it might take a while and you might have to give it's human some money. $300 is nothing compared to the joy this little girl gives me.

I paid $40 for a cockatiel that I did not see until I got him home and took him out of the cardboard box. I had to have him. The owner said he was too ugly to sell so I had to get him before he ended up as snake food.

Please search instead of breed.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:12 am

Wolf wrote:I am not going to say that Pajarita could not have made her reply in a better manner, because I do think that she could have been more tactful, but with 14 months of postings from you, there is ample evidence to support her statement that you don't have the knowledge or the experience to start breeding your birds. This is further backed up by your recent statement that you need to get your Uncle's cousin to teach you how to hand feed the birds.

This does not mean that you have not stepped up your studies of parrots as was discussed by you and I privately a while back. So even if I concede that you have increased your knowledge sufficiently to know what will be required of you if you continue with this plan to breed, I am some what doubtful that you have had the time to make this knowledge your own through hands on experience. Before you begin any breeding program, I think that it would be better to work with/ for a breeder so that using the knowledge becomes almost second nature to you as there will be times that you will not have time to look up or start calling around to find the information required to save your baby birds lives.

Although I applaud you for your efforts to gain this degree of knowledge about your parrots, it is not because I think that you should start breeding your birds. It is because I think that every person who has a parrot should have this degree of knowledge concerning their birds. For you just now, I really am doubtful that you are fully prepared for this venture and that actually concludes my assessment of your current level of knowledge and skills pertaining to breeding, and I admit that my assessment may not be entirely accurate, but I do not believe that it is very far off either.

In a general note, I am currently against the continued breeding of these birds until such time as we stop destroying their natural habitats, stop at least the majority of the illegal bird trade and poaching and most importantly until we come up with a viable way to deal with the overpowering glut of parrots that are currently being shuffled around like so much unwanted baggage on sites such as Craig's list and similar places as well as all of the birds that are being consigned to bird sanctuaries and rescues. There may come a time after these issues are effectively dealt with that the breeding of parrots, properly regulated, may become the best way to insure both enough parrots for people who actually want one or two or it may even be the key to keep them from becoming extinct, but I don't see that being the case at this point in time.

I am not trying to either encourage you to breed your parrots, nor am I trying to discourage you from it. I am asking that you perhaps reevaluate your decision based on your actual knowledge and skill sets. And other than that I am just sharing my views about parrot breeding as a whole. Regardless of your choice and whether it is to continue with this plan or not, I am still hoping for only the best for both you and your birds.

Ok I only read the first paragraph I couldn't be bothered reading it all because I know its all just against be breeding and here you all forget I have been researching Parrots almost 4 years now and had 1 parrot for 8 years.I have never hand fed before so of course I would wanna be showed how to do it and I never said I was hand feeding the chicks I said they would be parent raised.My Uncles cousin breeds all sorts of species and owns the Bird jungle so I have a huge advantage if something went wrong.And I already have the nest box and they already seem interested, And anyway I bought the nest box and set it up so now its their choice if they wanna breed not mine but of course I can stop them from breeding but I want them to breed if they want to.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:15 am

liz wrote:I am quite certain that you are able to raise chicks. After all the parent do the work and you just get to play with them.

I am totally against breeders. Most of them just want money. You said you would keep one and give one to a friend then sell the rest.

I never sold any of my little cockatiel surprises. (I could not kill the baby in the egg). I found homes for them. It was not easy because I had to make sure the little being's human was ready and able to care for them. I also told them that if and when they decide to give them up that they should come back to me.

I think I searched for 3 months before I found a bird that was in need of me. Yes, I paid $300 to get her but she needed me. The human I got her from did not take time with her and did not know what a treasure she is.

Please search for one of the little birdy beings that need you. Yes it might take a while and you might have to give it's human some money. $300 is nothing compared to the joy this little girl gives me.

I paid $40 for a cockatiel that I did not see until I got him home and took him out of the cardboard box. I had to have him. The owner said he was too ugly to sell so I had to get him before he ended up as snake food.

Please search instead of breed.

Thanks for your advice but yes I cant wait to see these little babies and keep one for myself and of course with the money ill be spoiling the birds as I always do lol.I have already started breeding.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:16 am

Chantilly wrote:Please please please let me ask you to adopt instead- you already have four birds on your hands, if you really are wanting to add more to your flock, there are already to many birds out there in need of a new loving home.
And if your were planning on selling or giving away the chicks- there is again already to many birds out there in need of a home, the world dosent need another person bringing parrots into the world where there are so few available homes, some of which will end up giving away the parrot anyway.
I beleive most breeders are just in it for the joy of creating new life or money/for their own satisfaction- beleive me you will be so much more satisfied saving birds than creating them, and if you are breeding for the pocket money, teils arent worth much on the market anyway, (20-70$) and with all breeding equipment+ feeding untill fully weaned+ if you cant find a home, you wont even get you moneys worth.
I am 1000% against breeding parrots as there are to many who are needing a new home, If I could change one thing in the world of parrots it would be to stop people breeding for 5+ years so all the abandoned could get a home. Dont take this personally, I doubt you want to hear this. And obviosly breeders can still be nice people people. But IMO they are only people people, not bird people, otherwise they would see the problem and not breed.

My question is why do you want to breed? please, enlighten me

Guess my answer to Liz could be the same for you.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 am

I have to say that your decision to breed your birds does not surprise me at all, Brandon. But just the fact that you think that it's OK to start them breeding this time of the year (when the breeding season is over) is proof that you don't know anything about their physiology and anatomy. And that knowledge is essential to breeding them safely.

Cockatiels are not as easy to breed as most people think. I had to take two pairs from people who thought they knew how to breed because the parents ended up attacking the babies (in one case, there was only one single baby still alive and he had bad pecks all over his head). It is not a matter of putting a male and female together and giving them a nest. That's what bad breeders do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 am

Pajarita wrote:I have to say that your decision to breed your birds does not surprise me at all, Brandon. But just the fact that you think that it's OK to start them breeding this time of the year (when the breeding season is over) is proof that you don't know anything about their physiology and anatomy. And that knowledge is essential to breeding them safely.

Cockatiels are not as easy to breed as most people think. I had to take two pairs from people who thought they knew how to breed because the parents ended up attacking the babies (in one case, there was only one single baby still alive and he had bad pecks all over his head). It is not a matter of putting a male and female together and giving them a nest. That's what bad breeders do.

I know breeding season is over because its now time for moulting haha you surprise me with your
Replies.Loki has still been doing the mating dance and yes breeding season might be over but if THEY wanna breed they can but if they don't breed then I guess they don't want to.The funny thing is you assume I have nobody else and I'm all alone well sorry to disappoint you but I have many friends and relatives that have birds and if you knew what the Bird jungle was you would know they breed many species and they just bred Cockatiels and will help me if anything goes wrong.Just to let you know your now on my foe list so I don't have to read whatever you post anymore and im not the only one who has you on my foe list :lol: I wont say any names.Whatever I post here is now none of your business and I wont see your posts so goodbye.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Chantilly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:42 am

liz wrote:I never sold any of my little cockatiel surprises. (I could not kill the baby in the egg). I found homes for them. It was not easy because I had to make sure the little being's human was ready and able to care for them. I also told them that if and when they decide to give them up that they should come back to me.

If you know your suprises will be going to a good home and search as hard as you have to find them the perfect one, that is understandable, but if one was not to take that time to find the proper home, I think of it as 'Is the chicken egg in the meat factory best be let hatch and then suffer, be kept in very poor conditions (and then be culled), or be killed before the pain and suffering can start'
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Chantilly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:26 am

ParrotsForLife wrote: I know breeding season is over because its now time for moulting haha you surprise me with your
Replies.Loki has still been doing the mating dance and yes breeding season might be over but if THEY wanna breed they can but if they don't breed then I guess they don't want to.The funny thing is you assume I have nobody else and I'm all alone well sorry to disappoint you but I have many friends and relatives that have birds and if you knew what the Bird jungle was you would know they breed many species and they just bred Cockatiels and will help me if anything goes wrong.Just to let you know your now on my foe list so I don't have to read whatever you post anymore and im not the only one who has you on my foe list :lol: I wont say any names.Whatever I post here is now none of your business and I wont see your posts so goodbye.

This is community where we will unevitbly disagree, argue and come of as rude at times. Debate is part of what makes these forums be forums. We dont have to always agree with eachother, we are only trying to do what we beleive is best for the parrots, and we will try to change peoples minds when we beleive it is for the better (for the parrots).
You may think Pajarita comes of as rude, but we all come of as rude at times, you do, I do...- no human is perfect in this world. No body but the animals that we are trying to improve the lives of are perfect. We are only trying to help your parrots, hatched or not.
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:59 am

Chantilly wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote: I know breeding season is over because its now time for moulting haha you surprise me with your

This is community where we will unevitbly disagree, argue and come of as rude at times. Debate is part of what makes these forums be forums. We dont have to always agree with eachother, we are only trying to do what we beleive is best for the parrots, and we will try to change peoples minds when we beleive it is for the better (for the parrots).
You may think Pajarita comes of as rude, but we all come of as rude at times, you do, I do...- no human is perfect in this world. No body but the animals that we are trying to improve the lives of are perfect. We are only trying to help your parrots, hatched or not.

You sure about that lol Pajarita is always rude and im not the only one who thinks so.You all know im leaving the nest box there if THEY want to breed so no debating about it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Chantilly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:18 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:You sure about that lol Pajarita is always rude and im not the only one who thinks so.You all know im leaving the nest box there if THEY want to breed so no debating about it.

Yes, yes I am sure. I thought before the first post that you would not change your mind about trying to have them breed, but thought it would be worth a shot.
I dont think that parrots Want to breed. Humans have children because they decide they want children, I beleive parrots have children because it is their instint- keep the race alive -not because they so much as say 'hey I want to have babies.'
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Housing