Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rocko and Loki ready to breed

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Rocko and Loki ready to breed

Postby liz » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:40 am

Wolf, Pajarita and Chantilly came through again about their opinion. Chantilly brought it down to basics.

There is a nest of infertile eggs behind the door to the cockatiel room. What I was told was a male (Tweet) has been laying and sitting on eggs for months now. The last nest that I finally took away from her was filled with dried out eggs. She does not have a mate and there is no way I can stop her.

Take the nest box away. The box encourages them to nest. If they really want to they will find a corner to nest. It will be their choice. If they do you can put the nest box back in and they will follow the eggs. Make it their choice instead of like telling them that here is your nest so fill it up.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:56 am

liz wrote:Wolf, Pajarita and Chantilly came through again about their opinion. Chantilly brought it down to basics.

There is a nest of infertile eggs behind the door to the cockatiel room. What I was told was a male (Tweet) has been laying and sitting on eggs for months now. The last nest that I finally took away from her was filled with dried out eggs. She does not have a mate and there is no way I can stop her.

Take the nest box away. The box encourages them to nest. If they really want to they will find a corner to nest. It will be their choice. If they do you can put the nest box back in and they will follow the eggs. Make it their choice instead of like telling them that here is your nest so fill it up.

Good idea Liz but they wouldn't have a choice if theres no where else to lay would they?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:06 am

You are absolutely correct, Chantilly, birds don't 'choose' to breed in captivity, it's all up to the humans -so Brandon, that's another concept you have all wrong.

Nobody is more rude than you, Brandon, NOBODY. Just look at the way you replied to Wolf who has tried so very hard to make you see the light in a very nice way and not to ban you even though the things you post would have banned you from every single other forum out there (and you know this is the truth). I no longer try to be 'nice' to you because it's simply throwing pearls before swine, as the Bible says. The only gracious replies from you are only to people who either agree with you or praise you or your birds. That's it. Anybody who disagrees with you is your 'foe'. As to your 'ally'... well, I am sure this person is not happy you said what you said but then, if this person is, indeed, your unconditional ally (very doubtful), he/she has shown very bad judgment.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:20 am

Removing everything they can make a nest with will make them rethink the egg situation.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 am

Liz, that is not really correct. Cockatiels would lay eggs on the bottom of a cage or on the floor if they have no nest. It's not the having or not having the nest that makes the difference, it's the food and light. If you give them food high in protein, they will lay even in the middle of the winter. That's the way nature made them, extremely opportunistic (they live in semi-arid regions so their main trigger is ALWAYS food availability) -which doesn't work to their advantage in captivity as cockatiels hens are the number one chronic layers (and that's why some people would only have males).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Housing