Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do I have to quarantine new bird from the same source?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Do I have to quarantine new bird from the same source?

Postby joephone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi all,

I have a 5 month old male sun conure. I got it 3 months ago. Today I got another 3 month old female sun conure from the same seller.

I searched online. Everybody said I need to quarantine the new bird for 2 months. Then I called the seller. He said it's not needed. I asked him whether he put all birds in the same room he said yes.

So since they are from the same seller, and the new one arrives just 3 months later, do you think I need the quarantine process?

ps. the seller is the breeder.

Thanks
joephone
Last edited by joephone on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joephone
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Do I have to quarantine new bird from the same source?

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Well given what information that you have given to us, I would most definitely quarantine the bird for at least 30 days as well as taking it to the vet for a wellness exam and CBC. Quarantine is the best protection against introducing diseases into our flocks and homes, and it does not sound as if this bird seller quarantines so since you have no way of knowing where he/she got the bird, you have no way of knowing what diseases the bird might have been exposed to and may be carrying.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:56 am

You should quarantine anyway, most likely it would be fine but there certainly is a chance that an illness could be present with the new parrot, and the expense and danger to your other parrot is to important to chance.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby liz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:21 am

Quarantine is a must. You don't know what the other birds went through in the 5 months that you have had yours. One of his birds may be sick and not showing signs yet.
It is also quite important for the birds to communicate from different rooms. The bird you have may even remember the bird you want to get. That is really possible but you still need quarantine. It is awful for us when one gets sick but you would hate yourself forever if the new bird brought in an illness and you lost your first because you did not follow the quarantine.

I quarantined a gecko for a month then put his container near the group cage. A month was not enough. Just being near by the new one started showing illness and I did not get them separated in time and all my geckos died. Max was very bonded to me and the two girls accepted me so it was really really bad to loose them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing