Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

making a play-gym

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

making a play-gym

Postby AlexanderV » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:00 pm

so i started making a little play area for kepler because i want her to be more independent when shes outside her cage (also to get her more into toys so she can get enrichment from toys while were not home)

i got a decently-sized branch from one of our plum trees and sterilised it with steam. i let kep have a go at perching on it and even without the toys, she loves it! (shes been chewin on the bark and loves climbing up and down the branches :lol: )
now im at a crossroads: i could just make a weight and have it be the height it is (about 160cm or about 5'3", with the branches starting at 60cm or 2'), or i could lift it another 25cm (i still want it to fit through the door :P )

any advice?

here are some pics of the thing (with my jade plant to compare hehehe):

and heres where i thank high ceilings for existing and letting me store the thing:
AlexanderV
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: making a play-gym

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:59 am

It's very nice but I doubt she will stay on it for very long - at least, if she is like mine, she would much rather ride on your shoulder than be on a branch by herself... I have never found any use for play-gyms. My birds like branches but the only way they actually use them outside the cage is when they are attached to it in a vertical way so they can climb up.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:30 pm

I took all swings,perches etc off the ceiling for now until I recall train all them its a nightmare getting them down for bed and they just keep going back up lol.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby AlexanderV » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 am

four-month update:
kep loves the tree ever since i suspended it from the ceiling! its officially called the uss urania because im a nerd and features the uss horrible-unending-nightmare (a hoop kep got for christmas) Image

:senegal:
AlexanderV
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 am

It looks great but don't you get poop on your desk all the time?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AlexanderV » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm

surprisingly, no!
and i know you didnt ask, but my plants are guarded by the plushies next to them bc kep wants nothing to do those
do your birds like bamboo by the way? because keplers mad for it :D
AlexanderV
Parrotlet

Return to Housing