Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Conure is hiding in the corner of the cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

My Conure is hiding in the corner of the cage

Postby dybuilda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 pm

My conure, Nova who i just bought and brought home today has a really nice cage with plenty of toys and perches to play on but decides to just hide in the corner of the cage above his water and food bowls im not sure if theres something wrong or is he just not comfortable playing in the cage and hasnt assimilated into my home yet. Id like any advice or reasoning as to whats going on thank you anyone who can answer
dybuilda
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Conure
Flight: No

Re: My Conure is hiding in the corner of the cage

Postby shaenne » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:22 am

Going to a new home can be a very overwhelming experience for a bird, and if you just brought him home today I would say he is just a bit scared. If you haven't already, place his cage in the living room or kitchen and just go about your day. Give him some time to settle in and get used to his new environment. He'll come out of his shell once he gets more comfortable in his new home :)
shaenne
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus, cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:53 am

One day is not enough time for him to get to know his cage let alone make contact with you. No matter what he came from even the parrots that get rescued from bad places still have the fear of being in a new place even though it is much better than what they came from. It is so hard for them to leave everything and everyone they know even if his new family and home is better.

Fix his cage so he will have a perch at your face level and not your hands. Say hello to him using his name as you walk by him. Put him in your busiest room so he can watch you and get adjusted to you being his friend. Sing to him or read to him. Having a conversation with another human will be to his advantage so that he can watch you when you are not paying attention to him. Don't push him and limit your time in his cage. When cleaning or feeding do not make eye contact.

It is like you giving him the opportunity to learn about you and accept you as his new friend. He will come to you when ready. I work around my new ones and do not force attention on them. Instead I wait for them to make the first move.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:57 am

I agree with most of what has been said, but I do not ever recommend that a bird be placed in a kitchen, it is a very unsafe and unhealthy place for them to be. There are dangers from glasses or cups and other containers being left with water or other liquids in them that a bird could get stuck in and drown, This does not even count the times when there are pots and pans of scalding liquids or other things that the bird could land in or the various hot surfaces that could seriously burn your bird. It does not do them any good to breathe in all of the greases, oils and other fumes found in a kitchen. There are just so many hazards there and all it takes is just one mishap.

Parrots are flock animals who depend on their flocks for safety as well as a sense of well being and so they are very frightened when they lose their previous support even if it was bad and move to a new place especially when they are all alone and they have no idea as to what strange new predators may be lurking in hiding waiting for them as a snack and they have no ideas as to what your intentions are. It is a very scary and stressful time for them. Take your time and let them watch you while you go through your daily routines and talk and sing to them a lot from a distance until the bird begins to show interest in what you are doing and begins to move away from the back of the cage to watch you, then start dropping an occasional treat in their food dish and walk away so they can check it out.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum! Yes, I agree with the three previous posters, it takes a couple of months for a bird to feel secure in its new home and a couple of years for the bird to actually bond with its new human (and this depends on how the human treats it). If your bird is a baby or a juvenile, please take into consideration that you cannot feed it an adult's diet yet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:13 pm

I forgot to ask - are his wings clipped? They are terrified when they know they cannot fly to escape a predator if they have to. It took Myrtle a long time to grow her feathers back because she was so malnourished. She was a lot happier in my house and with Rambo and the other animals but did not fully trust me until she knew she could get away if I tried to eat her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Housing