Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bringing a senegal into my parrotlet home

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Bringing a senegal into my parrotlet home

Postby Nuzzle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:33 am

Hi! New time user here.

I currently have a 4 year old parrotlet and I'm thinking about getting a senegal. They would of course be housed in seperate cages, but in the same room.

Is it feasible? They would be supervised while out.

Michael
Nuzzle
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green male parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: Bringing a senegal into my parrotlet home

Postby Chantilly » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:18 am

I think this would work fine, As long as they are being supervised while they are out (together?) so as they dont get agressive towards eachother. :thumbsup:

Please post pictures, we all love seeing others little babies!!!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Nuzzle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:36 am

I wouldn't let them out together at the start, but when I do it would be supervised.

I will post pictures if I go through with it! The eggs won't hatch till february though :senegal:
Nuzzle
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:59 am

Hmmmmm, I don't know if a single plet will work out with a single Senegal. The thing about senegals is that they are intensely jealous of their human and don't want any other bird on them but a lonely plet will NEED to be on its human - and these little guys don't seem to realize that they are much smaller than the other species... One talks about supervision but the truth is that they are much too quick for us and, by the time you react and get to them, it's usually too late when you have a teeny tiny fearless one confronting a bigger mean one (and senegals can be pretty mean!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Nuzzle » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:12 am

Would it be an issue if they were never out together? Or will I have to look after another parrot than a senegal?
Nuzzle
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 am

I am not sure how to answer your question as I have parrotlets as well as a Senegal. For the first year the parrotlet was single and then I got her a mate so even though it did not work out as her having a mate, she is not alone any more. The other thing is that I also have a few other birds as well, so I cant say that any of them are alone although only the budgies are mated.

Parrotlets are absolutely fearless and will often attack before doing anything else and a Senegal is really not that much better and are also fearless. Both of these birds are jealous of their humans and will not want to share.

With all this having been said, it can work with both out at the same time, but they will have to be supervised and both of these birds are much quicker than you would expect. It would be safer for the parrotlet if they were not out at the same time, then the biggest concern would be to keep the one that is out off of the other's cage.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:36 pm

I guess that, in theory, everything can work out but, if I have learned anything about keeping birds is never to trust theory :D

Have you considered getting a mate for the parrotlet and putting them in a LARGE aviary? That might work out just fine for everybody.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:33 pm

I have several reasons for the way that I answered this question, so I will try to explain a bit better.

The very first thing that I feel that it is important to consider when choosing birds when it is your desire that they become friends enough to be let out together is the size of both the bird and the size of the birds beaks. While many times it is true that the smaller bird is the faster of the two when there is a difference in their sizes, so it can often move quickly enough to escape from the larger bird as long as it is aware that it is in danger. It is also true that the smaller bird stands a much greater chance of being severely injured or killed by the larger bird. For this reason it is a normal practice to advise people to keep the bird to a similar size or to not let them out together, it is what I actually recommend, as the majority of people find it difficult to keep as strict of supervision on their birds to make it safe enough over a long period of time, humans tend to get lax in this area especially when there have been no incidents after a period of time and that is when the majority of injuries or deaths will happen, and we all tend to believe that this will not happen with us which is also a mistake. with these birds it only takes a momentary lapse in our vigilance for this to happen.

We must take the time to consider not only the sizes of our birds but also the basic natural behaviors of the different species of parrots as it is in their natural environment as that can be one of our biggest clues as to whether the birds can or will tolerate each other. In this case both species live in a totally different part of the world so they would never even be aware of the others existence. Both of these species of parrots are aggressive and do not usually have anything to do with any other species of parrots in their natural habitat. Both of these species are very protective of their mates and their nesting areas and territories, Like the differences in their sizes, these traits do not suggest that bringing these two species into close contact is going to work well for either of them.

In the negative column I have one last thing that should be considered concerning these two species and that is that if either of these two species has been accustomed to being a lone bird for any length of time, they can be very difficult to find a suitable mate for as they will very often reject the other bird even when it should be an appropriate mate for them and that also tends to lead to the injury to both birds and usually the death of one of them.

Still, I feel that I must be honest with you by saying that it can be done, although it is not recommended. I know that this is true simply because I have these birds myself, but I really don't recommend this combination for any one. honestly, after giving this more consideration, I probably should have just kept my mouth shut or just said that it is not recommended rather than saying that it can be done, All it takes is one little slip and the results could be disasterous for the parrotlet.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Nuzzle » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:16 am

You guys have given me a lot too think about. From the sound of it all, it doesnt feel like a good idea.

General consensus is to keep the parrotlet alone?
Nuzzle
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:30 am

I am always of the general opinion that no bird should be kept alone as they are in fact flock animals and part of their sense of security and well being is derived from being with their flock. With some species of parrots this can create sort of a conundrum as some of these birds simply will not accept another bird as a part of their flock if they have become accustomed to being a single bird. Parrotlets appear to be one of these species.

Keeta, my female Parrotlet was around 10 years old when she came to live with me and up to that point she was a single bird. Well mostly so, she was around some other birds although I do not think that any of them were parrots. Then when she came here she had other parrots that she could see and talk to although none were of her species. It took a while before I was positive of her sex as her colors did not match either the male or female of her species because as I eventually learned she was a hybrid. So about a year after she came here, we were able to find her a nice turquoise mutation Parrotlet male who at the ages of about 5 years was a retired breeder. He is a very sweet bird even though he still does not trust humans. They seemed to hit it off and even lived together in the same cage for nearly a year and then he turned on her and plucked her head and neck feathers as well as biting her hard enough to crack he beak, so I separated them but have kept them next to each other. Keeta still likes him, but he will not accept her for more than about half an hour before he begins to attack her. Other than this he really appears as if he wants to be with her and is very unhappy if they are not next to each other.

I suspect that in this case this is due to the breeding practices of the breeder who had him prior to his coming here. While this is not the best possible illustration of what I wanted to describe it does show how sometimes these birds may be better off being kept as a single bird although it is really not what nature intended for them. It also shows that sometimes even if they can't actually be together that they really do want someone of their own species at least to talk to. And unfortunately it also shows one of the bad things that we inflict upon these birds that creates conflicts in their basic natures that should not be there.

I can't say if keeping your parrotlet as a single bird is the right thing to do or not as I do not know enough about it to make this call, but if your bird seems to be happy with just you, then it is possible that you should keep it the same as changes are stressful for all parrots.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Housing