Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage Pricing is very alarming .....

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Cage Pricing is very alarming .....

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:48 am

Cages are pricey for sure, If I buy a new cage, I can expect to pay around $100 USD for a cage suitable for a parrotlet or budgie, and upwards to $600 USD for a cage for a Senegal sized parrot.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby NJBirdMan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:40 am

Unfortunately for me, I can not possibly afford a $600 cage when spending $700 for the Parrot.
So in all actuality, I am hoping that this Pionus rescue comes thru for me. Either way, the cage
I buy is currently priced at $171.00
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:31 pm

I just got my second white, flat top (I don't like open or dome tops) 33 inches high x 32 inches wide x 23 inches deep (with the stand, the top of the cage is at a height of 56 inches) for $250 at ABBA. I had gotten one for Freddie Too and was so happy with it (super easy to clean, no nooks and crannies, large door and a shiny finish that you can wipe the poop from with just one swipe of the sponge!) that I went and got another one for Mami and Naida Zons - and, if and when the redbellies bond, I will go and get a third one!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:09 pm

$700 for a Senegal? Wow they are like around €350-500 here and a suitable cage for a budgie would cost around €80
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Billie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:28 pm

We house our african grey in a massive armoire. We cut out all the sides and parts of the doora and replaced them with plexiglass. The bottom droor is the waist tray that is seperated from our bird by a mesh. We got the idea from http://www.furniturebirdcages.com. she has never seen bars and it doesnt feel like a cage at all.
Billie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 44
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:55 am

It must look very nice but, in reality (and I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I am only thinking of your bird's wellbeing), Plexiglas walls are not good for birds. The birds end up in a sort of sensory deprivation chamber. They can see out but they can't hear or smell anything and the walls end up keeping them 'apart' from the family. And, worst of all, they get no air circulation -which is a real bad thing for a dust bird!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Billie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:11 pm

The entire top of her cage is mesh. She can still hear n smell. But the cage is only closed from 12pm-6 am. She cant fly. Her previous owner over clipper her right wing. The fathers never grew back. So shes a free roaming bird with many pirches through out our home. We picked glass because our previous cockatoos wing got stick in the bars when we were out grocerie shopping. She didnt recover sadly. We threw the cage out.
Billie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 44
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:14 am

I have been lucky with cages. I managed to buy a large stainless steel avian adventure cage off Preloved.co.uk for £60 when OH's greys powder coated cage got tatty.
It had been used for a breeding cage then left in a corner of a shed uncleaned for 2 years and sold on the understanding it was filthy after the owner built an aviary.
A day out with picnic from Cheshire to Durham in the UK to collect. Four hours next day with a disinfectant soak, a steam cleaner and brillo pads restored it to like new.
Got a slightly smaller Stainless avian adventure that was clean for my Lory off Ebay. Just a trip up to Yorkshire for that one. Nobody else bid for it as the description was a bit vague and got it for £78.
The last one was the same cage as I got for my Lory off Preloved again and this was purchased for my new baby caique.
It was fairly new and set me back £400 and a short trip to the top of Manchester. The second two cages where F10sc disinfected and steam cleaned to be safe
Hopefully they will never need replacing.
Last edited by Loriusgarrulus on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Score, :thumbsup: I am always on the look for used stainless cages and buy everyone that's American made I can get my hands on. Gotta watch out for some that aren't food grade stainless from over seas China, Taiwan etc. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 pm

We have a small company in our town that does powder coating. My son has been making wire protection for the windows and having them coated. We have too many birds of prey in our area that could easily break through a screen when I open a window to give them fresh air. Old cages look like new and are easy to clean when coated.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Housing