Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Green Cheek Conure cage help!

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New Green Cheek Conure cage help!

Postby Breezybri52 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm getting a baby green cheek conure. She's still being weened but I can go visit her whenever I want until I bring her home. She comes home in about 2 weeks so I'm trying to get everything ready. Anywho, I got a cage for her on amazon and when I spoke to one of the pet store owners about it, they said the spacing was too big for her. It's 3/4 inch. I was looking at a different one to get her but I'm having trouble finding a decent sized cage for her. I found a flight cage, would that be ok? Or too big? Is 1/2 inch better? What kind of dimensions should I be looking for. I needs help!
Breezybri52
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Flight: No

Re: New Green Cheek Conure cage help!

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Half inch is good. A greencheek is closer in size to a large budgie, so you want to go with 1/2" or 5/8" bar spacing.

As far as cage dimensions, bigger is better, as long as the bar spacing and other openings are appropriate. I keep my greencheek in a 30x30 cage. I wouldn't get that one again. Being square, it won't get through my doorways. 30x24, would be more practical if doorways will be an issue for you. You want to be able to get the cage outside to hose it off, and stuff like that.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Breezybri52 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 pm

I didn't think about taking it outside. That would be easier to clean. So would a flight cage be ok for her? I want her to be comfortable. Me and my boyfriend work full time but I'm planning on keeping her out while we're home and getting her lots of toys.
Breezybri52
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:45 pm

A flight cage would be fine. As long as she has lots of room for toys and to move around.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:08 am

Yes, a flight cage is good. But, my dear, if you both work full time, the bird is not going to be happy. GCCs need more hours of company than other species and you cannot keep them up after sunset - did you know that?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Breezybri52 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 am

I did not know that but anytime I work late I'm home earlier in the day and can keep her out until I leave. We both work different shifts so if one of us isn't home the other can have her out and worse case senario, my boyfriend's brother lives with us and can have her out. I got her a nice big cage with lots of toys to play with. And lots of perches for when she's out.
Breezybri52
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 am

OK, that can work out as long as you all agree on a specific routine which would need to be maintained by whoever is home at the time. It might not work out so good when he/she reaches the age of sexual activity because they usually like one person over everybody else and if they don't get enough time with that one person, they get despondent so keep that in mind if the bird starts acting up in 2 years or so.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing