Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Picking Cage for UnCape Parrot

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Picking Cage for UnCape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:38 pm

I am planning to pay a visit to Kings Cages this Saturday and will quiet likely come out of there with a cage for my upcoming Cape. I want the cage to be around for a month before the Cape arrives so I can get Kili used to staying away from it so she doesn't bother the new Cape when it arrives cause she won't care about the cage once she's seen it enough.

After much search and thought, this is the cage I am probably thinking of getting:

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... ID=ACP3325

If anyone has any objections or knows a good reason not to get this, I'd like to hear them now before it's too late. The size is 33"x24"x32" with 3/4" spacing. It is all aluminum construction rather than powder coat. I am thinking that shelling out for a superior cage now is the better investment. Buying a smaller or cheaper cage and wanting to upgrade in the future would end up costing more and being stuck with two cages. I've been doing pretty well saving for the up front initial investment for the bird, cage, and supplies so I think this cage will be worthwhile and they are offering me a discount if I pick it up myself rather than typically included delivery.

My second option would be this cage:
http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... D=ELP_3426

Unfortunately I have to take a slight size penalty with the Aluminum cage over this one but I think the material improvement justifies it?

The second thing I am looking to buy up front (once again to have time to train Kili to stay off of) is a good climbing tree. The cost aside, I don't really want one of the huge 6foot tall trees because the bird would be higher than I am all of the time. Personally I've been quite happy with Kili's 2ft high tree because I can keep an eye on her when I am sitting on my couch at TV/Computer (yeah my TV is my computer). So I think I'd rather get a 3ft high tree for the Cape so that it could be at or below eye level when I spend time sitting. I try to keep all parrot stands and perches at or below eye level for me so the parrots are within reach. I've learned that a parrot will gladly fly up to you... but coming down requires more than a little coaxing. This is why I avoid any tall perching opportunities at my place. Also I'm not sure I want a ginormous 6ft tree in the middle of my living room (not because of decorative purposes) because it will get in the way of flight training efforts and both birds will be tempted to land on it rather than complete long across the room flights. So I'm really hoping I can keep this below the existing "furniture line" height wise.

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... 20LG%20838

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... 20LG%20374

So I think I'd like a short Java tree like one of the above. Any suggestions? Anyone have a good reason to think it's too small and I need the big tree? I'm kind of split between the top multi branch style and the bottom "tree" style. Buy I just know it... the bird is going to spend 90% of the time sitting on the top branch and all the bottom will be wasted whether the tree is 6ft high or 2ft!

Also getting the Aluminum cage is contingent on getting the short Java Tree because originally I was planning to get a regular painted cage and a big tree. But for the same price I can get the aluminum cage and smaller tree. Honestly, I prefer the smaller tree just in terms of how it would fit in with everything else and the height issue. Also I figure that if I ever move or change my situation around, I could always get another tree but the cage is more of a long term thing so it makes sense to spend more on the cage up front than the tree.

I'd like to hear any feedback or opinions about my selections. Especially if you've ever had an aluminum cage or java tree.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Picking Cage for UnCape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Hey Michael. I think you are right. The slight size sacrifice is totally worth the quality aluminum over powder coating and should save you money in the long run. And all of the space at the bottom of the second cage would be wasted space anyway. Also, the storage space under the cage is a huge convenience. After having one with the storage, I wouldn't buy another cage without it. Anyway, 32x24 is a good size for your Cape/Uncape/BrownNecked/GreyHeaded Parrot. I have tried to do some research on the aluminum cages but can't fine much on them. I wonder if they are better than stainless steel?

As for the tree, it's all a matter of preference. I have a big playstand that is about 5 feet tall with lots of branches and I like it a lot because there are lots of places to hang toys and hide food for foraging. It's similar to this one... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 26prmd%3Ds I also have a 3 foot tall table top play stand that I also like very much for the same reasons plus I can move it around to different rooms if I want. Both of mine are sandblasted manzanita. If I had to pick just one I think I'd keep the bigger one. It's a nice place for them to hang out and play. The only problem I see with the two you've shown is that there aren't a lot of branches for them to play on or to hang toys/foraging items from but again, it's a matter of preference.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Re: Picking Cage for UnCape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Branches are more a matter of the specific tree I get, every single one is different. I'm just thinking of getting one of the "table top" ones and putting it on the floor. Kili's is 24" high and the bigger ones go up to 30"+. So if you figure the typical desk or sitting position is roughly 30 inches, I think that's a good height for the bird to be at during "living room" time. Also, I don't want the new tree to be sooo wow that Kili would steal it for herself. I'm hoping this would just be a slightly larger alternative to hers and she won't mind.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Housing