Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jazz does not like to be in her cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Jazz does not like to be in her cage

Postby HyperD » Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 am

I think Jazz my senegal thinks being in the cage is punishment...

She does not like to be in the cage, which isn't a problem as such, except she will not go to the cage for food.

She expects me to hold her food bowl and she eats from my hand... I will put her in the cage over the food bowl but she will just take a few bites but then come out.

I know she is hungry because if I were to, she will eat plenty on my hand (and yes I realise the past experiences have reinforced her wanting to eat on my hand)

I don't particularly want to lock her in there just to eat because that wlil reinforce her fear of being in the cage (i.e. not having freedom). But if I leave the door open, she comes out...

She is still learning target training, but she definitely will not go to the cage when doing that....

Any suggestions?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Jazz does not like to be in her cage

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 am

- Only use a favorite treat when she is in her cage. Dont let her have it any time other than in the cage.
- Let her hang out on the cage sometimes, so that she can get comfortable with it.
- Try to be in the same room while shes in the cage less, so that she can't see you sitting 2 feet away while she's behind bars. It might help her take her mind off you., and being with you instead of in the cage.
-Put new small toys in the cage and show them to her every time you're ready to put her away. A small foot toy like a wooden spool, button, or cat ball with a jingly bell are the best. Not big bulky toys that could overwhelm her and scare her from the cage even more. Again, I emphasize making sure she is not afraid of the toy.
- It would be best to only offer her food in the cage, but if she really is THAT scared of it, dont just put her in the cage and wait until shes so hungry she has to eat. You can start slow, moving closer and closer to the cage, feeding her ontop of the cage, then finally feeding her inside.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 am

Wow, you have to stop being such a softy and show that parrot who's boss. Being locked in the cage to eat should not seem like punishment. My parrot is absolutely thrilled to be locked in her cage to eat. Heck, sometimes she'll keep flying off and going into her cage and I have to go back to get her out. Then again, when I come to let her out, she is really happy to come out as well. You need to develop a routine and understand tough love. You can't let the parrot run the household.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby HyperD » Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 am

Hehe that's a bit harsh but I have to admit fair.

I am probably being too soft, but my sister's african grey never wanted to go into his cage. She had lots of trouble (mainly the fact that he just kept hold of the bars). Now a senegal is a lot easier to control and put where you want them but I would prefer them to want to go there.

I will try being more forceful, but I didn't see it being productive shutting the door and she just sitting at the door moaning...

Thanks Michael and not scaredtodance for the tips, I will try them and let you know :)
HyperD
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Tue May 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Just keep in mind that there is a difference between being forceful and being deliberate. Don't "force" the bird. Just manipulate the environment so that the parrot would practical think it's their own idea to go into cage. I'm telling you. I don't force Kili in cage. When it's feeding time, I can't keep her out of the cage. When it's out time, she is thrilled to come out. You need to teach the parrot a routine and let it get accustomed to how things are supposed to be.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby bmsweb » Tue May 04, 2010 6:27 pm

When Jazz (Our Cockatiel) started to want to be out of the cage more and more, I just put more toys in his cage to keep him interested. At first he didn't want to come out of his cage because of fear, but once he learned it was fun outside too, that's when he wanted out all the time.

His cage is now his playground and he loves it in there. We let him out early morning and then again around 4:00pm when my son gets home from school. From 4 onwards his cage is open and he is in and out of it constantly.

The cage is closed for a short time again while we have dinner, then at 8:30 he goes back in his cage, we close it for his safety. He knows the routine and if I forget to close his cage, he reminds me. Routine is really good.

Try to make the cage a fun place for your bird and good luck :)

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby HyperD » Mon May 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Putting some new treats and being less soft seems to have worked, she seems happier in there now but she still doesn't get the idea of flying to the cage on her own... I have put a perch right by the bottom of the door for her to land on... She will fly a short distance to it when training but if she is hungry she expects me to put her there...

Most logical thing seems to keep training her to fly to it and increasing the distance bit by bit... we'll see what happens :)
HyperD
Poicephalus

Return to Housing