Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Postby kimbo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:31 am

i lived in dusseldorf for 2 years when i was in the british army. germany is certainly a pretty place. you will enjoy your sennie. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Mon May 10, 2010 12:35 pm

I have the finka playtop and my sennie loves it. Plenty of room to roam and play with toys.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Alexander » Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and advice! I have just finished ordering and I expect all the items to arrive within a couple of days. I ended up buying a bigger Montana cage which sort of combines the two Finka models into one. It was only 50 euros more expensive, but it is much, much bigger plus it was for sale at a greatly reduced price (from 399 to 299 euros and there were some other online shops which sold it for 499, so I think I made a good choice). Its exact dimensions are 42"x28"x72" and it has both a dome and a playtop. Here is a picture:

Dallas Montana Cage

I will post some photos as soon as I receive it and have it ready... :)

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby pchela » Mon May 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Alexander wrote:
I am not German, by the way. I am Greek, but I have been living in Germany for a year. I have never been to München, but from what I have seen it must be a beautiful city. Leipzig has its charms too.

Vielen Dank mal wieder! :)

Alexander

I went to Greece once when I lived in Germany and it was beautiful! I'd love to go back someday.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Ark » Mon May 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Alexander wrote:Thanks! Yesterday I received a photo of my little Sennie :senegal: (or Mohri as they say here which comes from Mohrenkopfpapagei) and I can't wait to welcome him (or her) to his new home! :)

Mohri, that has to be the cutest name for a Senegal that I've heard so far. Here, we call them Youyous (in French). I think Papagei means parrot, but what does Mohrenkopf mean?

I love the cage you picked, it combined the best of both worlds. I like dometops because I find it easier to hang toys at different levels and but the parks do have their advantages too. Your bird is going to have lots of space to play and move in there, that's for sure.

How long before your little Mohri comes home?
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby Alexander » Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 am

Hello!

Greece has very diverse and wonderful geography, pchela. It's what I like most along with its history and traditions, but I cannot say I am very fond of the cities (especially Athens). Germany, has a lot of green, but very "dull" geography on the whole (in my opinion). Its cities are beautiful though!

Ark, Mohrenkopf consists of the word Mohr which apparently means blackamoor and the word Kopf which means head. I am going to pick my Senegal parrot in about half an hour! I cannot wait! His cage is HUGE, by the way! I had difficulty attaching some of the perches and toys because I couldn't reach the bars with my hands from both sides! :)

I still need to invest on a playstand or a tree, but I cannot afford one right now, so I hope that the playtop will suffice for the meantime.
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby lzver » Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 am

What a beutiful cage Alexander! I'm sure Mohri will love it!

You're probably good with just the cage for a while. I found it took a couple weeks for both my birds to really settle in. Senegal's can be a bit phobic and its going to take him a while just to get used to his new surroundings and cage.

I'm sure you're excited to pick him up. If you get a chance, post a picture of him. We're all suckers for pictures of little baby Sennies :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Alexander » Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 am

He is home with me! I just put him in his cage. As you said, Izver, he is very hesitant. He has been sitting on the same place for 10 minutes now. I decided to leave him alone for a couple of hours so that he can relax a bit and I will spend some time with him during the afternoon! I will definitely post some pictures later on! :senegal:

Oh, by the way, I named him Rubens, but I also call him Rubie! :)

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby pchela » Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Congratulations! You must be so excited! We'd love to see some photos of little Rubens!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby lzver » Tue May 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Alexander wrote:He is home with me! I just put him in his cage. As you said, Izver, he is very hesitant. He has been sitting on the same place for 10 minutes now. I decided to leave him alone for a couple of hours so that he can relax a bit and I will spend some time with him during the afternoon! I will definitely post some pictures later on! :senegal:

Oh, by the way, I named him Rubens, but I also call him Rubie! :)

Alexander

He likely will be pretty quiet and not very active. As cute as they are and as tempting as it is to handle them right away, if he seems afraid or stressed, I would just let him be for a couple days. When we got both our birds, we talked to them and offered treats from time to time, but really just gave them a few days to adjust and left them in their cages. With him being a baby you still have lots of time to bond with him and I'm sure he'll feel more comfortable within a few weeks.

Keep us up to date on how he's doing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

PreviousNext

Return to Housing