Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Postby Alexander » Fri May 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Hello there!

I have just registered to the forum. I am planning to buy a Senegal parrot :senegal: , but first I have to buy the cage and everything else. I am having a hard time choosing the right cage mostly because of the bar spacing. I have singled out two cages which I like and are relatively cheap, but the bar spacing differs. One of them has a bar spacing of 16mm (0.6 inches) while the other 23mm (0.9 inches). Here are images of both of them:

1st option
2nd option

The second one looks sturdier and better, but the first one seems to have a more appropriate bar spacing. Do you think that 23mm is a bit too much for a Senegal parrot? At first, I had made up my mind for another cage which was relatively smaller, but was much cheaper and would afford me the opportunity to buy a tree or a free standing perch of good quality, but I had forgotten to look up its bar spacing and it ended up being 1 inch (here is the cage in question by the way). Now, I'll just have to make my own free standing perch, but I don't know what kind of branches it is ok to use...

Anyway, in order to avoid any confusion my question has to do with the right bar spacing for a senegal parrot. Thank you all! :)

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Appropriate cage for a Senegal Parrot

Postby pchela » Fri May 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi,

I don't know the proper conversions but maximum bar spacing for a Senegal is 3/4 inch. All of the cages you picked are good sizes otherwise. Minimum cage size for a Senegal should be 24inch x 20inch. Hope this helps. Oh, wood for playstands are generally manzanita or java or grapevine though I'm sure some other woods would work as well.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Alexander » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Hello pchela!

3/4" is the equivalent of 19mm and only the first one complies with this dimension which has a bar spacing of 16mm. Regarding the playstand, I was just thinking of collecting branches from a nearby forest, but I don't know what type of trees thrive there. I have heard that the wood from fruit trees is fine, but I don't think there are any fruit trees to be found in the forest. Would it be wrong if I just picked up some branches from there, soaked them in water in the bathtub in order to clean them and then use them to construct a playstand? I am thinking of this alternative because some of the climbing trees I've seen for sale are ridiculously expensive, at least for my budget... Another alternative would be this one. What do you think of it?

Thanks for your reply, by the way!

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby pchela » Fri May 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi,

The one in the picture is nice and would be great if it's in your budget. If you want to make one yourself, just make sure to identify the wood you are using and make sure it's safe for the bird. Sanitize it and it will be fine. (I think if you soak them and then heat them in the oven it will kill any thing bad) If I had the tools and ability, I would make my own play stand too. They are so expensive!

Here is a link of good and bad wood and how to sanitize. http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Alexander » Fri May 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Thank you for your valuable information, pchela. The fact that play stands cost unreasonably high is what urges me to create my own. I mean, why pay 90€ for a bunch of branches? I see no reason in this. I don't have the abilities to make one myself either, but I think I will give it a try.

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby Alexander » Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 am

Ok, I have been doing quite a lot of research these last days. I didn't know finding a suitable cage for your parrot can be so hard. At first, I wanted to buy a Liberta cage, which seemed pretty good and also were relatively inexpensive, but I couldn't find anyone who would sell these cages here in Germany. So I decided to go for a smaller Montana cage, which would be of course of much better quality, but a bit more expensive. I have chosen two variations of the same model and I cannot decide which one of them to buy. The one has a dome while the other a playtop. I will post the pictures so that you can tell me your opinion.

New Finka Dome Antik
New Finka Playtop Antik

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby pchela » Sun May 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I personally like the play top cages as it gives the bird a place to hang out outside of the cage. I feed them breakfast on their playtops and put lots of toys up there. Other people like the dometops because they have a bit more room inside the cage. Mine spend so much time on their play tops playing or just hanging out that I can't imagine not having the play top. They both look like nice cages though.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Alexander » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I prefer the playtop one too and I think that the playtop would be an adequate alternative to a playstand or a tree till I am able to buy one or create one myself. The playtop it is then...

By the way, it is needless to say that you have been most helpful to me! Thanks! :)

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Postby pchela » Sun May 09, 2010 11:06 pm

You are very welcome! Or should I say bitte schon? :D

I wish you luck with your new Senegal! They are so much fun. Anytime you have any questions we're be here.

BTW- are you German or just living there? I lived in Munchen when I was younger for about 4 years. I loved it and would love to go back someday!
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Alexander » Mon May 10, 2010 5:21 am

Thanks! Yesterday I received a photo of my little Sennie :senegal: (or Mohri as they say here which comes from Mohrenkopfpapagei) and I can't wait to welcome him (or her) to his new home! :)

I am not German, by the way. I am Greek, but I have been living in Germany for a year. I have never been to München, but from what I have seen it must be a beautiful city. Leipzig has its charms too.

Vielen Dank mal wieder! :)

Alexander
Alexander
Lovebird

Next

Return to Housing