Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Smallest cage for Senegal

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Smallest cage for Senegal

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:13 am

What size would you consider to be the smallest cage usable for a Senegal as a long term living cage?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Smallest cage for Senegal

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:28 am

As a baby, I had Shade in this cage. However, once she got really comfortable going around (aka when her leg was nice and healed and she wasn't as clumsy) I went out and bought her this cage. I still use that first cage as a birdsitting cage.

Personally, I think 24" x 22" should be the minimum required for a (small) Poi who spends a lengthy part of it's day (because of working owners for example) in it's cage. However, to each their own and it's everyone's responsibility to assess theirs and their bird's living conditions. Also, I would rather see a bird in a slightly smaller yet quality cage than in a bigger cage which is either flimsy or rusted or has anything else wrong with it.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 pm

24vx 22 at the minimum! 28 x 22 is better. I'd go even bigger but it's difficult to find proper bar spacing if you get much larger.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:38 pm

It all depends on how much time a bird spends outside its cage. Because my career can be pretty hectic and exercise/outside time not always consistent, I decided to go overboard and buy a birdie mansion http://www.bird-supplies.net/victorian-retreat-3223.htm for our foster Sennie. I do think it's important to buy a product with proven safety (ie lack of, oh, say, lead paint or zinc plating etc), so name brand is also a really big factor.
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Return to Housing