Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

At Home

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

At Home

Postby dawood55 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey guys, I just recently got my parrot, and I was wondering, do you guys keep your parrots out of the cage at all times when you're at home? Or do you leave it in the cage but take it out to play with it sometimes?
dawood55
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: At Home

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:38 pm

My bird stays in his cage until I take him out to play with him sometimes. Someone is not around all of the time to supervise him so he's not always out. He's really tiny so if someone isn't looking out for him or doesn't expect him to be around, it's possible he could get stepped on! :o
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm

People who keep their bird out all day are more the exception than the rule. They can be very demanding and destructive. Unless you have incredible discipline, training, and time to spend you can forget it. Unless you are retired or know that you will spend most of your days for the span of your bird's life at home, I do not recommend keeping it out for more than several hours a day. The important thing is consistency and letting your bird get used to how things will be. They don't like change so it is better to be consistent than to give too much time some days and not enough on others.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby dawood55 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:44 pm

OK, thanks guys :)
dawood55
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby MandyG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:01 am

My bird is always in his cage when we are out of the house (espeically now that he's flighted, he could get into a lot of trouble rather quickly). Now that he flies he's also always in his cage when we're cooking, just in case ;) .

Other than that if I'm home he's usually out with me. When he's out we're either training, playing/cuddling, or he's hanging out on his play perch. I do put him in his cage every few hours, just like people I find that parrots enjoy having some 'down time' to themselves.

This routine changes depending on the dogs we have in the house. The first day or so of having a new foster dog he will be in his cage any time the new dog is out. Also if there's something else going on that might be dangerous for him, like if we have company over and there's people coming in and out of the house a lot he'll be in his cage just to make sure he's safe. :dancing2:
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:46 pm

That's interesting. You foster dogs? Are these rescued dogs?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Natacha » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:28 pm

My birds are out most of the time when I am at home, but since I am gone for work from 8 to 5, they do spend a fair portion of the day in their cages.
I put them in when I am cooking, specially using the stove top actively so that there won't be any "accidents".
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MandyG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:57 am

Kathleen wrote:That's interesting. You foster dogs? Are these rescued dogs?

Yes, they're rescue dogs. I volunteer for a local animal rescue. They're separate from our humane society and don't have a kennel of their own. It's completely ran by volunteers who take the animals into their homes until they're adopted.

My boxer pup I actually adopted after fostering him and 3 of his litter mates. :D

If anybody thinks parrots are messy, they should try fostering puppies! Parrots seem VERY clean after that! :lol:
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby kimbo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 pm

chico :senegal: comes out whenever im home. he goes in his cage to sleep and when i have to go out. my neice came over the other day and was sat writing, she was entranced when he went over to her and turned around, he wanted the pen. so cute.he used to sleep on the curtain rail but now he has his big cage, we put him in it at nght, he didnt like it at first, he did that peeping scared little parrot sound but he is getting used to it now and settles down with no noise. :D
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Return to Housing