Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rescue in trouble

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Rescue in trouble

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am

Neighbors complaint about noise from birds might end up closing the rescue... [and, again, the rescuer is an old person]

https://globalnews.ca/news/4663951/smit ... ot-rescue/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Rescue in trouble

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:06 pm

I strongly believe that a person should be able to do what he wants to do on his own property. Only very extreme things that really infringe upon the ability of others to enjoy THIER property should be disallowed, and this should be a matter for civil court, not some irresponsive "code" that was probably administratively enacted, anyhow.

That being said, she's not really a real rescue. If she were, she'd already be allowed, licensed, inspected, tax exempt, and all that other crap.

We need "real" rescues to be exempt from CITES crap (don't get me started on more administrative "laws"). I need to be able to place a Golden Conure or Scarlet Macaw in the best home, not attempt to keep it in the smallest state in the Union because someone, somewhere, thinks denying a bird a home will help anything at all.
These places calling themselves rescues is muddying the waters.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Re: Rescue in trouble

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 am

I don't know about a 'real' rescue versus another kind of rescue... I mean, rescue is rescue and whether donations are tax deductible or not is not what determines the actual function or whether the animals do well or not with them. Sheesh, I know of three 501[c]3 rescues that are nothing but collectors looking for free birds and two that are flippers! I don't know if she is tax-exempt because she is in Canada.

As to zoning laws... well, you have to have them because, for one thing, what's 'extreme' for one person might be perfectly normal for another - and, if you don't have rules, people will greatly abuse their neighbors patience and understanding. And taking them to court takes too long, is too complicated and terribly onerous to the court system [and taxpayers].

As to CITES, they only require permits when moving birds in and out of a country not between states, that's US law. And it's not as if it cannot be done, it's only that you need to apply for a permit and get it approved. You guys moved the birds from Ma to RI so it's not as if it cannot be done... But, in any case, they are downgrading the goldens from endangered to threatened because they realized that there were more wild birds than they thought.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing