Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cages designed for other species (rodents)

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cages designed for other species (rodents)

Postby Brittanyv326 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:11 am

I'm new to the forum, I actually saw Micheal's training videos and was interested in joining. Being a birdie newbie, I got ripped off today and paid $250 for a $150 ferret cage from CraigsList. It looked legit, sounded legit, the lady "threw in" toys and perches and stainless steel bowls. She claimed she used to do bird rescues and paid $450 for this cage 6 months ago. But there are no feeding doors, no pull out tray, no seed catcher. I'm extremely upset, but hoping I can make it work? I'm planning on getting a :senegal: Senegal :senegal: from a breeder. I met him and fell in love. I've done a lot of research, read the "Parrots for Dummies" long before ever walking into the bird shop, but nothing gets you like experience. Here is the same exact cage being sold at Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/in ... Id=3402796

I may end up reselling (to a ferret owner) out of fear that it's unsafe. I can get a replacement tray (for another $25), but it is designed for the tray to be above the grate. Is that an issue with Senegal's? Do they spend any time on the floor of the cage? Either way, I could fix something up if it's going to be worth it to keep.

So my question to you all, what is the problem with using cages meant for other species? This one is powder coated, sturdy, bar spacing about 3/4 of an inch. It's huge. About the size of my large dog's crate. She's about the size of a golden retriever and she could (not that she has) get in and lay down.

Hopefully this will spark a nice discussion!

P.S. I'm going to thoroughly clean this before bringing the new bird home & will probably take out the branches she put in.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.
Flight: Yes

Re: Cages designed for other species (rodents)

Postby pchela » Mon May 24, 2010 12:56 am

Hi,

I'm so sorry you got ripped off! That really sucks. The good news is that you can make that cage work. I've seen the one you linked to at Petsmart used (and recommended) for handicapped birds especially birds with feet problems so it is bird safe. The only thing is it won't be as convenient for you to change out food and water and the tray etc.

You can get plastic bowls that attach to the cage on the inside. I really like these http://www.pionusparrot.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=125 and they are pretty easy to use. You can also get a cloth or plastic seed guard that wraps around the bottom of the cage similar to this http://www.windycityparrot.com/page/Win ... 9401101001.

As far as the tray not having a grate over it, I never use my grates in my cages. It's just something else to clean. My senegal never gets down on the bottom of his cage anyway but even if he did, I still wouldn't use the grate. I just keep newspaper there and make sure I keep it clean.

Hope this helps!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Brittanyv326 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 am

I'm so relieved! Thank you so much! I still have a lot to do, but I'm so excited. I keep just staring at the cage, imagining where the bird would be right now. I wonder why more people don't use this cage. The inconveniences seem worth the price difference between another cage this size. :D
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 am

if you know a handy man (maybe a dad or a grandad they are helpfull) that have done form metal work in there time im almost sure u could get someone to attach (weld) 4 wire pieces that look like an L underneath the cage and you could place the tray underneath the cage (its sitting on the L shape metal) right under the grate.

just an idea
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Return to Housing