Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mirrors

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Mirrors

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Do you put mirrors in your bird areas (mirrors on toys etc.)? If you do, is your bird obsessed with its reflection?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Mirrors

Postby Patty and Flock » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:30 pm

There are some parrots who do really well with mirrors and others who don't. I don't think that I have ever known a cockatiel who doesn't have a thing for mirrors. My two, who are housed together and VERY bonded, each have a mirror that they sit in front of whistling and admiring their beauty. My quaker, who doesn't like a mirror in her cage, will often sneak into the cockatiel's cage to use theirs while they are out at play. My goffins cockatoo cuddles up to her mirror and often falls asleep leaning against it. If your parrot has ample out of cage time and socialization, an "obsession" with a mirror is not an issue. It is a thing of comfort and enjoyment to them.
There are birds, however, that get aggressive or afraid when they see their reflection and it is important to pay attention to that possibility. Before you put a mirror into their cage, take them to a mirror in the house and gauge their reaction to it. If their body language is even slightly defensive, don't put a mirror into the cage. Their cage should be a place of peace and safety.
Remember to select a mirror that is safe for your species of parrot. While mirrors installed into the toys that are sold in pet stores are fine for small birds like parakeets and cockatiels, select a stainless steel mirror for any bird conure sized or larger.
Patty and Flock
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, goffins cockatoo, quaker, 2 cockatiels

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 pm

What about flying into mirrors? Is that a common problem?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Do you prefer that your cockatiels are bonded to each other and to their reflections more than they are bonded to you? Do they ever become defensive of each other or of their reflections against you? Are they more aggressive toward you as a result? Maybe with cockatiels it isn't too bad, they seem to have a more mellow/relaxed temperament than other birds.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby localpigeon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 pm

I have removed or covered every mirror my birds had access to. Either they would fly into them or just spend too much time in front of the mirrors and not do anything else like playing in their play gym or exploring. I also think they started to bond more with the mirror then with me and I think their overall personalities improved without the mirrors.
localpigeon
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiels

Postby Kathleen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:40 pm

It seems like mirrors might confuse them sometimes. Mirrors create an optical illusion. I've seen them used in restaurants and such to make the rooms appear larger than they actually are. I imagine a window might make a room seem to keep going and the birds fly right into it.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Mona » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am

Hi Kathleen:

With my birds, mirror obession seems to be "sex" related. My male cockatiel was fascinated by his reflection and would pose and sing but my hens all ignore mirrors.

Babylon has flown into mirrors a few times. It is mostly when we are in a new environment. She generally has hit it once and then she has it figured out. (Not that I want her to do it). I think mirrors can be a flight hazard but birds also can learn them.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby MandyG » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:19 am

I don't have a mirror in Mojo's cage. He doesn't really seem to care about mirros. I've shown him the mirrors in my house, he was curious and beaked at them but he lost interest quickly. He flew into the mirror in my bathroom once, but this was before it was shown to him and he was flying because he had gotten spooked. Now that he's had the chance to feel that they're solid he's never had a problem with flying into them!

I think it's important to give a flighted bird a tour around the house and let them feel and see windows and mirrors so they can understand that there is glass there. There is still the possibility that a scared bird will fly into the window so you should take precautions and possibly keep the blinds down, but showing them the glass will help keep them safe during a regular day in the house.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby miajag » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Winnie has a toy with mirrors on it in her cage that she pretty much ignores. She also shows very little reaction when I stand in front of a mirror with her on my finger or shoulder. A little curious glance perhaps, but no freakouts or screeching or anything.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:13 am

i have a massive double wardrobe and the doors have mirrors on them (fully) are covered with mirror and i had trouble with my budgie who flew into them so i decided to get his wings clipped
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Next

Return to Housing