Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rearranging your bird's cage

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Rearranging your bird's cage

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:13 pm

How often do you rearrange your bird's cage inside? How often do you usually switch out their perches/toys and other accessories for different ones?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Rearranging your bird's cage

Postby MandyG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:21 am

I usually try to switch a toy or two in his cage and on his play perch at least once every week or two, or when a toy gets destroyed. At least once a month I usually will rearrange the majority of his toys.

Last night I completely changed his cage around, that usually only happens once every couple of months when I clean his cage thoroughly.

I change the toys in his cage more often than on his play perch just to keep his cage interesting for him. I'm away for a long time during the day so I make sure that he's as entertained and stimulated as much as possible.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby macawlover2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:27 pm

I usually either move a couple toys around or add a new toy every few days or so. Once a month (roughly) I'll take out everything and rearrange it. I did this more often when my grey was young, so he wouldn't get stressed with change like many greys are. It worked for me! Now when I rearrange the cage, he crawls all over to explore his new "house".
macawlover2
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw, Blue and gold macaw, and a congo african grey.

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Birds who have their cages rearranged every so often seem to become very excited by it. They get used to it and they're not so afraid of new toys hanging up in their cage. It's a little bit funny to watch them check things out! :P
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed May 05, 2010 3:31 am

my budgie is really sensitive to change he does not like it. he goes into a depression where he sits in the corner of the cage for 3 days and wont do anything. i tend to get him out at different times of the day and move his play areas around instead of changing his cage around
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby lzver » Wed May 05, 2010 9:00 pm

We re-arrange Lucy's and Jessie's cages at least once a month. It doesn't seem to bother them and Jessie tends to be on the skittish side at times. Only thing we keep in the same place every time is their perch they use for their 'night night' spot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Return to Housing