Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

getting ripped off

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: getting ripped off

Postby Banksie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:53 am

^^^ bloody hell, that's AWFUL! I don't think the company can argue with you!
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Where was it shipped from? How long was it in transit? This could be the fault of the shipper, in which case being patient with the seller might be worthwhile.... more flies with honey and all that, and if the shipper mishandled the goods they may be as outraged as you are. It's a shame, though.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:24 pm

it was shipped from the south island. it took under 48 hours.

i dont think it would of been from transit because the rust is aged. its gone right through the metals and its crumbling away if it was in transit the most damage it would of done if surfaced rust which is really easy to get rid of
Last edited by TheNzJessie on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:18 am

i went to the bird barn today, its where i buy all my supplies from and i asked them if they could order me a cage from their suppliers that supply there cages. they dont stock parrot cages because they dont sell enough of them. and they said they will order me one. yay

edit: they gave me the option of a refund or replacement, i chose the refund. its going to be more expensive going through the bird barn because i wont be paying factory price but at least i can make sure its good!
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby Banksie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:53 am

Nice work! Glad you got a decent result out of it.
Banksie
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:21 am

$460 it will cost e through the bird barn. but i really dont want to go through the whole shipping and not seeing it before i buy sorta of deal again.... bird barn said one should arrive within 10 working days... they make them to order
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby Banksie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 am

Of course it's quite a bit more expensive but for that you get the peace of mind knowing you get to see it first and you are also supporting a "real" shop. I buy all my birds at a higher price than online from a local independent pet shop for that reason...not least because I know that the birds are genuinely loved and cared for.
Banksie
Cockatiel

Postby Brittanyv326 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:05 am

Jesse, I've also been ripped off buying a cage. It was sort of my fault though. This lady had an ad on craigslist with a photo of a beautiful cage and I called and she told me it was sold, but she had another one and would included basically everything I'd need - perches, toys, etc. all for $250. She said she paid $450 for it a couple months ago. I thought that was a good deal. She drove 45 minutes to deliver it as I had agreed to pay for gas. She brought her husband, son, and dog with her. I was so distracted trying to make sure my dog and her dog weren't going to fight and also pressured for time since they had parked in the road that I saw the cage, it looked good and everything, so I handed the money over and she left. As soon as she left I was so MAD at myself. There was no pull out tray like she promised, no feeder doors. It didn't look like a bird cage, so I looked it up online and eventually found it. It's a ferret cage that some people use for birds that costs $150 brand new. But as you can see, there was absolutely nothing I could do, so rather than getting worked up about it I didn't even call her. I was very good. :) I wanted to cuss this lady out. Turns out, thanks to pchela's help that this cage is used for disabled birds. Also, I had to order a replacement tray for the bottom that cost $25 and on top of all of that, I used like 2 of the things she brought because the rest were all stained with bird poop.

Looking at your situation, I realize that it could have been a LOT worse! But I'm very glad you're getting a refund, I can't believe they would ship it to you in that condition. That's awful.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 pm

yea i read your post about that cage. that is just wrong. just goes to show there are some not very nice people out there that just want to make a quick buck....
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

You have to be careful when dealing with unknown quantities! For large ticket items like cages I look for sellers I trust whether they be online or brick and mortar. I have bought fairly expensive items from eBay and from retailers I hadn't dealt with before, but I checked for reviews and feedback and checked the return policies. Sometimes something is SUCH a good deal that I am willing to take the risk that I'll have to deal with a hassle or be stuck with junk, but if you can't tolerate that... don't buy from someone you don't know that doesn't have a good reputation IMO.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Housing