Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Litter or Paper?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Do you use litter or paper as your primary cage liner

Litter
9%
Paper
91%

Total votes : 33

Re: Litter or Paper?

Postby Rue » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I use newspaper on top of the grate. I just find it cuts down on overall cleaning.

We don't get a newspaper either...never have...but there's no trouble finding free newspaper. Right now hubby is bringing it home from work...but I've had offers from neighbours and friends as well...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby ptuga72 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I don't get the paper either. I bought a roll of painters paper from a hardware store and I use that, it's great for Scarlet's cage because I can have a single piece of paper covering the tray. Before that I actually used pages from the penny saver and ads that my mailbox gets flooded with. I've also been known to take my neighbors old phone books :D I worry abut using litter, and also prefer to keep an eye on droppings.

as for the grate, I use them. For some reason my birds think tearing up poop paper from the bottom of the cage is fun! They don't eat it, just pull it up, shred it, then laugh as I cuss trying to clean it up.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Yorkochanie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:08 pm

I use newspaper too. But, I have bought a new cage a week ago and the grates are really close to paper, so he can shred it to pieces. I'm afraid that he would get poisoned from the ink of the newspaper. Now I'm using a calendar's sheets, but I'm still worried and if he keeps on shredding the paper, I maybe start using litter. :?
Yaprak & Baby & Masuk
Yorkochanie
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Budgerigar

Postby tacotaco » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:36 pm

i use paper towels. its easy for me and i always keep a huge roll of it under his cage. luckily he cant reach through the bottom of his cage to get to it otherwise i'm sure he'd have a ball shredding it up! :P
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Scooter likes to sometimes climb under the paper I put in the bottom of the playstand. Since I also keep millet spray tied up there often, and there is typically a good pile of millet leavings on the paper, this is, shall we say, less than ideal! Fortunately the cage itself has a grate with a large drop to the tray so that wouldn't be a problem I guess I'll probably give paper a trial in the cage when I run out of litter. I'll probably go ahead and buy precut paper sized for it as I like the idea of keeping several sheets in there and just pulling off the top one. I'm at the stage in life where my time is worth a bit of money...
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:26 am

I've been using the precut wax paper made for Truman's cage and I must admit, it's wonderful. I don't know if I can say it's worth the expense but considering how much I spent on everything else, it doesn't constitute such a major expense. I stick 4 sheets in at once and then pop the top sheet off every few days. It really does make it so much easier. He's very messy so more frequent cleanings are required than for Kili. I haven't tried newspaper in his cage but I suspect it would take more than one sheet which would be very difficult to replace without spilling.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I agree with Michael, the pre cut wax paper is so much easier than anything else I've tried! I'm totally sold on it. I get it from cagecatchers.com. I haven't done the math but I don't think it turns out to be too expensive in the end especially if you buy the 500 sheets.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I use woodshavings, they're special birdie ones, $10 for a huge compacted 20kg bag that lasts forever from my local feed store. Cleaned out weekly.
I also have a grate, but have never had any problems with it, they both have beautiful feathers(except for Mali who's still trying to grow her last 2-3 tail feathers at 14 months old), not ratted up from the grate, and not getting stray poos stuck in their feathers from me not getting to clean it up in time.
I love the colour of it too, I know that shouldn't have anything to do with it, and it doesn't really, but it makes the cage quite nice and bright, a nice added bonus :)
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot