Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New cage stuck on which to buy

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New cage stuck on which to buy

Postby 3parakeets2moms » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:39 am

I’m currently stuck on what cage to buy for our 3 parakeets. They are currently in a 3 ft tall cage but it’s not wide. I’ve found 2 on amazon that I’m considering buying. On is a flight cage pretty low to the ground on wheels it’s 52” from the floor to the top of the cage and the second cage is also on a stand and is 53.7” with the stand so I believe the cage itself is about the same size as my current cage however it’s much wider. They are both the same price as well. Thanks for your help hopefully this all makes sense.
3parakeets2moms
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: New cage stuck on which to buy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am

In my personal opinion and experience, the cages that go all the way to the floor have a lot of wasted space because birds do not like going to ground. Having said that, budgies are partial ground foragers so if you are planning on putting their food on the 'ground' (as in, say, a paper plate on the bottom of the cage), it would work just fine as long as the cage is also high enough that the roosting perches are at your eye level when you are standing up (little birds do not like giant aliens looming over them). Width and depth are also important because budgies, as all aviary species, are very flighty so they need a lot of room to flit about. I had seven budgies in a flight cage that was 6 ft tall (and all the way down to the floor), 3 ft wide and 3 ft deep and they did very well in it (for budgies, there is nothing better than to live in a small flock and that means a minimum of 3 pairs). I also only buy white or very light colored cages because black is not a color one normally finds in nature and, in my mind, is oppressive (I admit to using my own preferences on this because if I had to be in a cage, I would not want it to have black bars but white ones that would give an impression of light and airiness).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing